How to fix your SRS light caused by driver seatbelt buckle

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Seat belts - 2002-03 and older - Lifetime warranty for the usable lifetime of the vehicle.

Newer cars - 15yrs or 150,000 miles

We do these alot at work.

tch_popeye

Reaction score
How many has done this mod?
I am going to do this, or try and find a used seat belt buckle local. The thing is in time it will fail again.
Local Honda dealer quoted $165 labor plus cost of part. I called Honda customer service, and it is not covered under any warranty.

I've done it, and so far so good... I'm going to leisurely look for a replacement buckle too... local quote (Canada) was $78.86 for the part (he needed my VIN)... the service manager wouldn't give me any help with the repair (i.e. no goodwill extension of the 10 yr Canadian seatbelt warranty), and Honda Canada Customer Relations said that I'm on my own.

This was a dynamite post! Thanks for the how-to. I'd stumbled around and found the SRS reset procedure, and even how to pull the code. However, the buckle didn't seem to be user-serviceable (to repair the micro switch)- where other Hondas have security Torx screws, mine just did some weird thing and the little holes caved in under pressure, but the buckle won't come apart. This post worked excellently.

I just had to join the forum to say thanks!

-Trev

Mikey

Reaction score
Anyone have a definite YES or NO as to whether or not this is covered under a lifetime warranty?

Simkid5614

Reaction score
Mine was covered. They will warn you about the DIAGNOSTIC fee, but if the belt happens to be the issue it's covered for Free, My 2000 was done last year when i bought it. I would reset the SRS light, unclip my seatbelt and it would come back on. So, Reset the SRS and do your own troubleshooting. Then take to honda. They will cover it in the USA only. If they don't, call Honda Motor Corp. and they'll get your dealer to do it.

Taken059

Reaction score
As a honda tech code 9-3 is very common and is done as an extended safety recall for free in the u.s. If u have ever had a bag go off unexpectedly while driving u might think twice before trying to trick the srs module

loomis

Reaction score
I just went through all this with Honda US, and after many phone calls and escalating it up through Honda Customer Care, the answer is that NO, Honda will not cover the SRS switch inside the buckle. It's total BS.

Back