Short ram intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

turboedpickup

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum - and I checked around to see other member's experiences with an AEM short ram intake - and I couldn't necessarily find it - so I ask...can anyone give a "review" on the intake? I mean, I know that the gains shouldn't be that much. I was also wondering if anyone had ever made a pipe (or aluminum hosing) that went from the bottom of the car (pointing to the front so that it would get air shoved in through it) and routed it it through the hole (where the resonator was) and pointed it at the air filter? And then there's another question (sorry bout the long post) - Is it illegal to remove the stock resonator (I live in cali)?

Thanks again,

Christian

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
turboedpickup said:
Hi, I'm new to this forum - and I checked around to see other member's experiences with an AEM short ram intake - and I couldn't necessarily find it - so I ask...can anyone give a "review" on the intake? I mean, I know that the gains shouldn't be that much. I was also wondering if anyone had ever made a pipe (or aluminum hosing) that went from the bottom of the car (pointing to the front so that it would get air shoved in through it) and routed it it through the hole (where the resonator was) and pointed it at the air filter? And then there's another question (sorry bout the long post) - Is it illegal to remove the stock resonator (I live in cali)?

Thanks again,

Christian

its not illegal to remove the stock resonator, and yes, someone did make a tube that went thru that hole, its the Cold Air Intake. not trying to be a smartaa5, but yea, if someone wanted that, then the best thing would be a CAI.

Twobit

Reaction score
I got a CAI for sale...100 picked up 120 shipped.

Normal CAI intakes are 200+ so keep that in mind.

it's polished.

turboedpickup

Reaction score
sketch 05 - well i know that's a cold air intake - i was just wondering if anyone tried to bypass buying a CAI - and bought a SRI instead...and got better short ram performance (of ofcourse barely 1 hp difference - just wondering that's all)

twobit - is it 50 state legal? i'm lookin for a short ram...because my mum drives the car most of the time and last time i checked ...she said... "don't go through puddles? that's the best part!" - gotta love her

acrod99

Reaction score
My aem sri has always been fine-bolted up great, and sounds good. even installed one on my girl's talon-same story. they are quality pieces.

Twobit

Reaction score
Yes it's 50 state legal, and also yeah, if you go through puddles and your just sittin in them, it'll suck the water up in it...so be careful even with sri

klee

Reaction score
turboedpickup said:

Thanks again,

Christian

To answer your questions, yes CAIs are available through AEM, Injen, and various other companies. The gains are different with each brand of intake but there are no huge difference between them. You will need to remove your resonator in order to install any of these. There is also one other brand called Aerospeed that mounts a front intercooler looking type of intake but these intakes are garbage. I believe most of the members have AEM or Injen CAIs. I think I'm one of the rare members here that has a short ram AEM. It's easy to install, easy to clean, and the gains are modest at the very best. You don't feel any performance gains until pass 4500K in my i4. I'm not sure about the gains with the same short ram in a V6.

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
i have an SRI because i live in Miami and it rains unpredictably. it's not a WHOLE world of difference unless you get entire bolt-on sets. BUT, to be honest, after i installed the SRI, the response was a bit better, and i was a bit more connected to my car in terms of "smoothness"

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
you can use an cai w/o a bypass

sri's - easy as hell to install, sound good. really our cars don't make any gains to speak of from an intake, so if you're trying to get more hp your money could probably be spent better elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back