Factory tweets to my Pioneer H/U ?

cliffsta

Reaction score
I know the tweeters and the front speakers are wired in-line under the dash somewhere. As my system is wired right now, I simply ran speakerwire to the plug-n-play harness that connects the HU to the factory setup, for the ease of getting my stuff going when I did this all 6 months ago. However, I am not terribly satisfied with the performance of my Pioneer 6.5s (4-way, unsure of the model, TS series). I am wondering, if I ran wire from the tweeters to the head unit's built-in speaker outputs, would they run the tweeters? The reason I ask is because since I have all the RCA outputs engaged, IDK if the amp ini the head unit would stop putting out? Will this work? Run speakerwire directly from the amp to the 6.5s, and run speakerwire from the factory tweeters to the head unit, so they maintain?

Or am I just going to blow out the tweeters from the higher output of the headunit vs. the factory radio? Is it worth it sound-quality-wise? Will it sound noticeably better / louder?

Thanks.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
it *could* be done, but i cant vouch for the longevity of your tweeters. both my stock 6.5s were blown with an aftermarket unit, but i ran fresh wire for my amp and new speakers.

remember that when you hook up more speakers, your impedance drops as well, making the 6ohm tweets run at more like 4 (too lazy for math now)...making them run hotter. heat is the enemy of electronics...

my biggest turn-off to this idea is running wire to the stock tweet location :skurred: if you can do it, awesome. if not...then youre sol.

to me, its not worth it since the stock tweets are kind of harsh. have you played with your head unit settings? hold down the Audio button if you didnt know that trick before.

AFAccord

Reaction score
Clothes hanger FTMFW! I did it, not too bad. Use it as a fish wire, just run it DOWN the hole first, then pull the wire UP.

cliffsta

Reaction score
Clothes hanger FTMFW! I did it, not too bad. Use it as a fish wire, just run it DOWN the hole first, then pull the wire UP.

I've decided based on my readings that it really wouldn't be worth it. All the hassle involved in doing it AND then reverting it to stock if I ever trade the car in wouldn't be worth the gain in performance, which would be minimal.

Back