DIY: Catch Can for 6th Gen Accords

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
DIY: Catch Can for 6th Gen Accords

Warning: This DIY is a Step by Step demonstration on how to make a catch can. I am not you and therefore not responsible for any damages to you or your car.

Difficulty: 3 outta 10

Time: 2-3 hours

What is it:

In an engine, there are two areas of air pockets in which the air is not directly related to combustion. Within these two areas, oil and air are separated from the combustion chambers and coolant jackets for the purpose of lubrication of the engine. The upper air and oil pocket is constrained by the valve cover at the top, and the valve seals at the lower end. The bottom air and oil pocket is constrained by the piston rings at the top and the oil pan in the bottom.
In a perfect world, these two lubrication areas would not pressurize. However, in real life compression leaks by valve seals and piston rings in what is called blow-by. Blow by introduces pressure into the two pockets of air and oil (the head and the crankcase). In addition, heat caused as a byproduct of combustion causes air molecules to expand which also causes the pressure to increase in these lubrication areas. If no ventilation system was employed to release this pressure, it would find the point of least resistance to escape, which could be oil seals...or worse.

To relieve this pressure, a system called Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV for short) is used. It is a closed system that takes the pressurized air and oil vapor from these two lubrication areas and introduces it back into the combustion chamber, by way of vacuum caused by the intake charge.

What good is it for our cars:

On a stock or slightly modified car, there is little point of this. For me, its partially used to prevent detonation when I use nitrous. This is also gonna be needed when I go turbo and is a cheaper version than the $90 ones. Plus I would like to keep the intake manifold clean as possible, lol.

Parts Needed:

IMG_1348.jpg

(1) Mini Air/Water separator tank (air tools) - $13

IMG_1359.jpg

2Ft 1/4" Fuel line (Auto parts) - $5

IMG_1355.jpg

(2) 1/4" Male hose end (air tools) - $5

IMG_1350.jpg

Steel Wool (Hardware store) - $6

IMG_1357.jpg

(4) 5/8"-1/4" Clamps (Hardware store) - $3

IMG_1352.jpg

Teflon tape (plumbing) - $1

IMG_1403.jpg

Vacumm Plug (Auto Parts) - 2$

Tools:

IMG_1371.jpg

Pliers
Razor Knife
Phillips and Flat Head Screwdrivers

Intsructions:

1. Take out the air filter and remove the bottom holding tank. Its on there good but it will come off.

IMG_1349.jpg

2. Use a phillips head screwdriver to remove the filter. Since this is designed to remove water from air, this wont work with oil. You will not reuse this Part.

IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1361.jpg

3. On the bottom of my Air filter, there was a nipple on which opperates as a preasure regulator. This is a problem, since the oil could leak out from here. Place a vacume cap on this to prevent a leak.

IMG_1362.jpg

4. Place just enough steel wool to fill. Dont pack it in though.

IMG_1363.jpg

5. Take out the 2 1/4" male hose ends and tape the ends with teflon tape.

IMG_1366.jpg

6. Install male ends on air filter with pliers. Make sure its on there good and tight

IMG_1367.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg

7. Next grab everything and head out to your car. Pop your hood

IMG_1372.jpg

8. Remove your aftermarket strut bar, if you have one (12 & 14mm)

IMG_1374.jpg

IMG_1375.jpg

9.Mock out how your catch can is gonna run. PLEASE NOTE: There is only ONE way to run the air filter. Make sure that it flows from the PCV valve to the Intake manifold

IMG_1373.jpg

PCV ^^^^
IM VVVV
IMG_1376.jpg

10. Once your catch can is mocked out, use razor to cut the fuel line to lengths needed

11. Place the fuel lines on male ends. Use 2 hose clamps to tighten the hose on ends

IMG_1378.jpg

12. I decided to paint mine since I'm not a fan of the blue, but this step is not needed. 2 coats of high temp black paint

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1383.jpg

13. Remove clamp on pcv valve and remove stock hose

IMG_1373.jpg

14. Now the trick one, remove the clamp on the intake manifold. remove the hose

IMG_1377.jpg

15. Now install the hose on the pcv valve and nipple on the intake manifold. MAKE SURE IT'S RUNNING THE RIGHT WAY.

IMG_1385.jpg

16. Tighten the final 2 clamps on the pcv valve and nipple

IMG_1386.jpg

17. Zip tie the catch can onto the strut bar or wherever you mocked it to be.

IMG_1387.jpg

18. Start up car and listen and look for leaks. No leaks, then its all good to run

Open your hood periodically to remove the caught oil. Check it every few weeks.

(thanks to turbopanda @ HT and cokinut @ cb7tuner)

angelusnhc

Reaction score
i am confused with the real location that the tubes should go. you have yours on the pvc pipe and this guy has his in another location. which is the correct location and why is the other one not.

465875_134.jpg

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
i am confused with the real location that the tubes should go. you have yours on the pvc pipe and this guy has his in another location. which is the correct location and why is the other one not.

465875_134.jpg

both mine and his are "correct" ways to run a catch can. but i found that 80-90% of recirculated oil comes from the IM side. thgis is simply because there is more vacumm on the IM side than the intake side. you could run two but i can fill 2 of mine with oil before that way sees more than a few drops

d1blet

Reaction score
awesome writeup :thumbsup:

seems like i dont need it on my stockie, but if i ever go FI then i know where im going to to make my own oil catch can.

angelusnhc

Reaction score
both mine and his are "correct" ways to run a catch can. but i found that 80-90% of recirculated oil comes from the IM side. thgis is simply because there is more vacumm on the IM side than the intake side. you could run two but i can fill 2 of mine with oil before that way sees more than a few drops

what do you mean IM?

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
nice job on the catch can...

by the way that's the messiest engine bay i've seen...ever thought about re routing/shortening/tucking some of those random wires??.....and you coulda cleaned that paint over spray off that rubber hose....

also...is there any cleaner way to route the catch can tubing??...it seems to be just kinda sitting there and the zip ties don't help aesthetically...you removed your power steering right?....why not mount the catch can where the power steering resorvoir was and neatly plumb the tubing to there...it would make it just as easy to empty and make it look more professional...cause it's lookin kinda ghetto right now bro...

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
nice job on the catch can...

Thanks.....

by the way that's the messiest engine bay i've seen...ever thought about re routing/shortening/tucking some of those random wires??.....and you coulda cleaned that paint over spray off that rubber hose....

im not the cleanest person when it comes to my car. its just been recently tht i reinstalled my interior panels cause i just left all tht off so i could work on it easier. when i do the manual swap, ill clean up the engine bay, remove wires and hoses not in use. the wires were in a loom and routed under the strut to hide them, but i got lazy and stopped fixing it when ever i took off the strut. and the paint on the hose, im really not too concerned abt since i never meant it to be a pretty look. i could have sanded it down and make it look nice, but i just wanted it to not be blue. Remember, my car is meant to go fast and i really dont care how it looks, especially in my engine bay

also...is there any cleaner way to route the catch can tubing??...it seems to be just kinda sitting there and the zip ties don't help aesthetically...you removed your power steering right?....why not mount the catch can where the power steering resorvoir was and neatly plumb the tubing to there...it would make it just as easy to empty and make it look more professional...cause it's lookin kinda ghetto right now bro...

there is a cleaner ways to route it but it cant be higher than the PCV valve and lower than the IM nipple. i "could" mount it by my P/S resevoir was, but tht is alot more tubing than needed. the I4 Resevoir is loctated by the driver headlight, too long for me. when i throw the H23 IM in, the new nipple on the IM is located on the top side of the plenium rather than by the runners, this makes for a better straight shot to mount this. i wont use the strut bar at all and it will be hanging freely, but not drooping at all.

relax danny, this is just a DIY on how to make it, not on what looks good to the eyes.

thanks for teh feedback though
badger.gif

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
relax danny, this is just a DIY on how to make it, not on what looks good to the eyes.

thanks for teh feedback though
badger.gif

thats cool...just adding the idea for others who may be concerned with their engine bay for car shows and stuff...not hatin on how you did yours...just i am OCD about the details...:)

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
thats cool...just adding the idea for others who may be concerned with their engine bay for car shows and stuff...not hatin on how you did yours...just i am OCD about the details...:)

its all good man, but i cant see u as OCD. :coffee:

Back