Clicking sound coming from engine?

pyaarawala

Reaction score
I recently noticed that I hear this unusual clicking sound coming from my engine. My brother has it on his TL too, except it's much worse. At idle, I hear the clicking, and when I slightly rev it, the clicking gets even faster. I heard from one of my cousins who's a mechanic and he said that it's some called a "valve timer or valve something" that is clicking. I will get a sound clip once I get home, since I'm at school right now. Anyone have any experience with this or has any idea if this is a problem? It's somewhat annoying that's all.

I can't hear how fast the clicking is once I get past first gear because my exhaust drowns out the noise. It's only audible in the first gear. And in my bro's TL, you can hear it in all 4 gears and it's horrible lol. I don't want the sound to get worse and end up like his.

nyknick1015

Reaction score
thats just the natural honda sound... most honda engines has that tick, if its loud, then u should worry about it but if its soft and not banging like, then ur fine

Accordingly

Reaction score
Some people refer to it as valve clatter... it happens alot when the car is colder and oil hasn't really reached all of the top end of the motor. Maybe check the oil level?

Raymond

Reaction score
Yep, even my 6cyl Mustang does it on cold starts, and it can be pretty loud. Luckily my exhaust hides the sound because it's so loud. :rofl: Once the engine warms up it basically goes away.

Accordingly

Reaction score
ohh, maybe bad gas too? And is your friend in the TL using premium gas? I think they are higher compression and need the premium to prevent premature detonation (clicking sound as well)

Accordingly

Reaction score
I'd suggest trying a tank of premium on his car and see if the sound goes away. Doesnt seem that bad on yours.

00AccordLX5spd

Reaction score
With the engine running, try squeezing the hose going to the PCV valve and see if it makes the same click. You will need to use a towel to protect the hose and a pair of pliers to squeeze. Could be something as simple as needing a new $3 PCV valve.

Back