problem with sound system

BKLYN ACCORD

Reaction score
i had my system in the car for a while already. had my subs hitting hard. one day im bassing out and the subs stop hitting. i looked at the amp and the protection light was on. i took my amp to get fixed thinking i had to replace the fan. the guy replaced the fan and showed me it was working. i throw the amp back in my car and the damn protection light goes on again. i cant figure out whats wrong. checked all wires but still. i took the subs out the car thinking it was blown and took them to my house, but the subs work. im running out of ideas. its not like im a noob when it comes to systems. any ideas?

waccord99

Reaction score
maybe the amp cant handle the impendence of the subs....what are you running.....check grounds............make sure your connections are tight and arent shredding on the ends and hanging out the terminals

BKLYN ACCORD

Reaction score
maybe the amp cant handle the impendence of the subs....what are you running.....check grounds............make sure your connections are tight and arent shredding on the ends and hanging out the terminals

my amp is 1200 watts ive been using that amp on those subs for months before this problem happened. or maybe it can be my head unit not sure though

lashlee

Reaction score
It may be something as simple as a stray wire that is shorting the speaker terminals. It also could be that the voice coils have overheated over time and have slightly come unwound. When that happens, the wire drags on the motor structure and shorts out.

I would start by just hooking up one sub at a time to see if the problem persists. Then once you find out which one it is, check it's impedance throughout the stoke.

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
i would guess the amp is either overheating - which could be from lack of clearance around the amp or running at a lower resistance than its rated for

or

voltage drops, if you think your alt might be going bad some amps will go into protect if the voltage dips too low

f23accord2000

Reaction score
just remmber all because it says 1200 doesnt mean its 1200 i bet its the amp ,the amp is toasted,when that light goes on means its overheated and to much volts are running through and the amp wil go into safe mode,try another amp if you can and check all the wires see if the ground or power wires are not touching check fuses,but i think its the amp is toast,remmber 1200 doesnt mean its a true 1200,
whats the make/model if its one of them sonys,pyramid,jenson, rockford fosgate.only amps out there that are true watts are alpine and jl and kicker

BKLYN ACCORD

Reaction score
just remmber all because it says 1200 doesnt mean its 1200 i bet its the amp ,the amp is toasted,when that light goes on means its overheated and to much volts are running through and the amp wil go into safe mode,try another amp if you can and check all the wires see if the ground or power wires are not touching check fuses,but i think its the amp is toast,remmber 1200 doesnt mean its a true 1200,
whats the make/model if its one of them sonys,pyramid,jenson, rockford fosgate.only amps out there that are true watts are alpine and jl and kicker

i know what you mean i had the amp serviced. i had them replace the fan. when i was at the store and they had the amp hooked up the green light was on so it was fine there. i hook up to my car and it goes to red. all ,my connections are fine. i re grounded the wire. subs are fine cuz i took them up stairs to the house and tested them on my radio. the only thing i can guess is my radio itself. i don't know just a thought

lashlee

Reaction score
Start with the power, ground and remote hooked up. Then add the RCA's. If all is well, move on with a single sub. Keep adding connections until you find where your problem is. Something has to be shorting out somewhere.

Back