can i add a remote?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
this has probably been asked and answered somewhere before, but i searched here and on v6p and couldnt find my answer. i have a 98 ex and its got the "alarm" on it that when you jump on the hood or whatever it goes off and you put the key in the lock to shut it off, but it didnt come with a remote. i thought it wasnt possible to add a remote...but am i wrong? my car has a type of alarm stock, but i want keyless entry. can i add a remote to this or am i stupid?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
anyone have an answer?
1239bump.gif

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
I assume you have the factory system for you just don't have the remote.
If it's the factory system, a dealer can add/program a remote for you. But it doesn't have a"shock" sensor. This means, if you you shake the car, break the window, or any type of vibration the alarm will not activate. It will only activate if you pull up the lock, pop the hood or pop the trunk. You can have an aftermarket shock sensor added to the factory alarm which is what I did. That way, any type of vibration will activate the alarm.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
yeah, its the factory system. so if id buy a remote on ebay with "programming instructions" (whatever those are lol), it would work?

when i put in my silverstars, i had the doors locked and couldnt get my hood to shut. this is when i figured out the latch was messed up. so i was slamming the hood and sitting on it and stuff, and it went off. i was like WHAT THE FCUK IS GOING ON? cause i didnt know that it had an alarm--i thought it was just for the stereo.

how much did the shock sensors cost, if you dont mind me asking?

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
ryan s said:
so i was slamming the hood and sitting on it and stuff, and it went off. i was like WHAT THE FCUK IS GOING ON? cause i didnt know that it had an alarm

hahaha, man, between that line and the one above "i have a 98 ex and its got the "alarm" on it that when you jump on the hood or whatever" i couldnt stop laughing, hahaha. all i can imagine is a guy just randomly going apesh!t and jumping on an accord's front end, hahahahaha. i really dont know about the shock sensors, but i know mine has adjusability to it, like i can make it not activate at all, or i can make it go off when the wind blows the wrong way. but im sure theres one that you can add to it thatll be fine, just ask BN which he has and get that.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
Sketch o5 said:
all i can imagine is a guy just randomly going apesh!t and jumping on an accord's front end
that day it wouldnt close before i had to go to work, i was talking nice to the hood and gently trying to latch it...and then i started swearing and dropping it like a foot above the latch:p

yeah, i left the door propped the whole time so i wouldnt have to dig for my keys:rolleyes:

Last edited:

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
I had my shock sensor added to my factory alarm for $125
Instead of Ebay, just go to the dealer and have them program you a new remote

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
sweet, if i decide to go home during easter break, ill definitely check out how much it is and see if they can squeeze it into the schedule. or maybe ill call dealers in the area here to see whos cheaper lol. thanks a lot bn!

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
sorry to bump back an old thread, but i got a remote off ebay for 19.98 shipped, and it came with programming instructions (like they werent free on the internet lol). took it out to the car, and it works! i never went to the dealer to see how much it cost because i was scared at the cost of the remote. im so happy now! so for everyone out there whose ex didnt come with a remote, you can buy one for a 98-02 with the right code on the back, program it, and youre set for under $20.

black4dr

Reaction score
hi i have the stock alarm too and i want an extra remote i already have one...so your one from ebay works comepletly fine with it??...and black night i was wondering where u got ur shock sensor put onto ur system...

Back