DIY soft box is done! 1 fun shot...

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
this project cost me like 50 cents. its basically like this one, but i used a big, white, thin cloth to drape over the top and side cutouts.

the only thing i paid for was the posterboard cause i didn't have any sitting around.

it's nice because you can put the flash where ever you want. in the shot below, i held it above the top and left of the box. if you desire to use a light, you could do that...or...you could shoot the flash through the side to create a longer shadow.

2429953614_1ba607050f_o.jpg

lego ftw :rock:

and here's the setup (sorry i have only flash lighting). the camera goes on the tripod, and i just hand-hold the flash where i please:
2429230989_c7a8709d94_o.jpg

i would encourage everyone who likes taking macro or product pix to make one...i wish i had done it a few months ago cause i had all the stuff just sitting here. it will make your shots not suck :lawl:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
HEllz yeah man !! That's a sweet idea! I don't have any mega dslr camera or anything.. I got a Canon PowerShot SD400 5MP, but I'm sure this setup will even improve photos from that thing!

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
kewl good to know thanks
np...give it shot :whip_001:
HEllz yeah man !! That's a sweet idea! I don't have any mega dslr camera or anything.. I got a Canon PowerShot SD400 5MP, but I'm sure this setup will even improve photos from that thing!
instead of using the onboard flash, you could just use a lamp placed above the box/poster board...its plenty of light and doesn't look harsh.
I am gonna build one of these pretty soon, they are so cheap to make
if you have a box (or even just scraps of cardboard), tape, poster board, a knife, a marker, and some kind of transparent material sitting around, its free :rock:
nice Ryan, which tutorial did you use?
i kind of used the one in the first post...but i used the cloth because thats what i had around. the box is 20^3" so its more than big enough.

as an alternative, anyone can do this. stick a lamp on top of the footstool, and youll have light 24/7. this is what i did before i built the box.

definitely check out DIY Photography...there's so many cheap/free kick *** things you can make. you could make a portrait studio for like $100. next up for me...DIY umbrella or soft box for the flash :naughtyrun:

nexTOme

Reaction score
uhhhhhhh ghetto?

kidding...ive done this long time ago but with my 1.0mpixel webcam :eh:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
i just used sheer cloth...no idea what youd call it :lawl:

its like...really thin and feels more like silk than cotton, for example. you can see through it.

you could use pretty much anything that lets enough light through...tracing paper...colored saran wrap if you want to color the image...

Back