Please Help Fix My Car!!!

Misterd0505

Reaction score
ok, my problem.. i just put a rebuilt F23 in my car. it started, but it does not run fine. when it's cold, for about the first 30-45 secs. it runs ok. then the idle flucuates from 1k to 2k around that area. when i give it gas, it bogs down, but when i let off the gas it goes up go like 4k, as it should do while i'm giving it gas. if i stay on the gas it'll stall. it's shooting codes P0301, 0302, 0303, and P1399 (which i'm not sure about that one)... i've checked the IAT sensor, the TPS sensor, the knock sensor, all four injectors, and they're all good. my buddy told me it sounds like the timing is off - I've since re-timed it about 13 times, but it's not getting any better or worse. they're aren't any vacuum hoses leaking, and every once in a while it'll backfire a little. there's no exhaust comin out the intake, but it seems like the exhaust comin from the tailpipe is intermittent.. that is, it kinda shoots out bursts. please help, i've been w/out my car for way too long and i'm so close to the end lol. thanks.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
are your plug wires in order on the distributor? i forgot the order off hand...hopefully someone can chime in.

the cap might have 1-4 labeled on it.

jason

Reaction score
check plugs those are miss fire codes on 123 cyl.. code 1399 is not listed wtf..

Misterd0505

Reaction score
brand new NGK plugs.. i thought the same thing so i replaced the plugs and wires and it's still doin the same thing.. and ya, i couldn't find p1399 in the book so i dunno.. someone just pmed me and told me to check the iac valve.. i haven't checked that one yet so i'll do that.

AFAccord

Reaction score
someone just pmed me and told me to check the iac valve.. i haven't checked that one yet so i'll do that.

The IACV might be the culprit of ONE of the symptoms, reving from 1-2K, but I don't believe it has the capability of letting it rev to 4K...It can only pass so much air.

Last edited:

AFAccord

Reaction score
You have a plethora of symptoms, and possibly a number of problems, not just one. First, where did you source the engine from? Any history on that?

Your fluctuating idle could be a clogged IAC, or possibly even air in the coolant system. Make sure you flushed everything well?

Check the engine harness. Did you use the original one or one from the swapped engine? The bogging issue could be from either bad timing or the injectors.

How did you check the TPS sensor? Did you check for 4.5v at WOT?

How about the injectors? Sitting in a yard for a while can easily kill them, making them erratic and inconsistent at opening correctly. They could be the source of your misfires. If you wire a 1.5v battery to them, you should hear them click open. Try taking them out and putting a tube over the input, squirt some carb cleaner down the tube and put the nozzle from a compressor to the tube. Use the battery to open the injector and the air/cleaner should spray through.

Do you have good spark on all your cylinders? Again, if it was sitting outside, you could have corrosion in the dizzy or faulty plug wires.

LOTS and LOTS of issues here so its hard to point to any one thing.

Misterd0505

Reaction score
i replaced the IAC valve, and it is running better, but not as it should... it's somewhat driveable now, but the idle still fluctuates from 1-2, and if i let off the gas while i'm driving, and try to give it gas again, it bogs down... i have to put in the clutch, wait for it to go to 1k, then i can give it gas and let the clutch out again. my hoses are all okay, so i'm thinkin not it's either off timing a little bit, or there may have a bad intake gasket?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The DIY forum is not a place to post your car troubles...thats what the tech section is for...

Back