need some ideas!!

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
OK just got a call from a friend tonight and he said that a local band he knows is wanting a photoshoot...so he showed him my pictures of cars and other stuff and the band said they liked it..so wed night i am meeting the band on campus for a photoshoot...they said they are going to try and come up with some themes and locations..

but does anybody have any pointers on settings and what not??

i have kit lens, 100-300mm, then a 24mm...also have a SB600 speedlight flash...

any pointers would be greatly appreciated...

hiddengamer7

Reaction score
Use the flash to your advantage, lighting is everything! When you are shooting the band, make sure to have the mood fit the type of music they play (gritty if its a metal band, dark if they are gothic, light and airy if they are pop etc)
If you can, get them individually as well as together as a band, and be sure to get a variety of different shots. High contrast helps make the band stand out but again, you want it to fit their style. The trick is to capture the emotions and individual personalities of each member of the band, which is hard to do if you dont know them personally, but I would find out what they like and dislike before you start shooting, so you can base your shots off that. I have found that this helps when capturing emotion.

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
^^thanks for some ideas...i have been listening to their music for the past 2 hours trying to get a feeling for the music...and it is kinda weird..but the bass player actually went to elementary school with me...very weird haha..

they genre for the band is like acoustic rock, folk type...so i will probably try and make the pictures kinda old timey..but that will need to be done in photoshop..i will probably do some individual shots if i can...but the best photo will be used for a poster...so individuals might not work..thanks again for the response

friend of mine that shoots just bands as his job gave me a few pointers..he said he likes to shoot at high iso then edit around that...and try to keep the lighting as natural as possible, which will be hard if we are in a low lighting area..then he said to get a ttl cord for my flash..but i don't think i want ot spend 40 bucks on something like that..even if it is a good buy

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
go wireless with the flash with Gadget Infinity Cactus V2s wireless triggers...its less than the cord, but youll have to use manual mode on the flash (not that hard).

its sweet cause you can put it where ever you want...facing down on them, to the side, etc...

Back