DIY EGR clean help

HillACCORD

Reaction score
does anyone have a diy for cleaning the egr valve? because ive searched and i couldnt find any step by step process for our 6th gen's. thanks

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Remove the EGR valve, clean out the gunk. Remove the top half of the intake manifold, remove the gunk. Use a pipe cleaner to get into the smaller holes in the lower half of the intake manifold.

Or just try seafoam first.

iROYAL

Reaction score
hope this helps

To clean the EGR passage on that car you need to split open the throttle body, and there is a port that will be plugged full of carbon soot.
You can sort of trace the porting from the EGR valve to the throttle body by the hump from the valve that is seen on top of the manifold.
I'll look for more detailed info when I get home this evening.

EDIT: 4 bolts and some misc. junk to get the top off the throttle body

99accegrport3iy.gif

RAULCR2K3

Reaction score
Has anybody removed the top half of the intake manifold? I was going to attempt to clean out my IM but the nuts seemed to hard to reach still in the car. I just wanted to see if anybody has any tips in doing this.

sodaks2k

Reaction score
bumping this old thread...

I have a 2000 4 cylinder 4 door 5 speed with 185k.

I recently had a CEL. Went to autozone and it was p0401, which is EGR insufficient flow. I took the EGR valve off and it really didn't look that bad. I sprayed it with carb cleaner and brushed/scraped off any carbon I could see. I also cleaned the "holes" where the EGR valve connects to the IM. I reset the ECU only to have the light come back on a few cycles later. When I have time I will attempt to remove the top half of the IM, but it looks like alot of work, especially since the EGR valve wasn't that dirty. I just seafoamed the car about a month ago, and wasn't really impressed with the lack of dark/black smoke coming from the tail pipe.

Has anyone actually had the EGR valve go bad?

Back