Dslr

tnguyen600

Reaction score
I saw another thread about digital camera recommendations, but i didnt want to hijack it...so it goes

Im looking to get a Nikon DSLR camera just to fcuk arond with, nothing serious. But i want to get a lense that has internal focusing? I was at best buy playing with the D80 and it had the 18-135mm lens on it and that had internal focusing. I think the D80 is too much for me b/c i plan on taking some car pics and other random pics. Nothing too serious. I was considering the D40 but people on the other thread said its a bridge camera/toy and the lenses out there don't necessarily fit the D40? I duno.

Any thoughts?

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
yea...the d40 is kinda limiting cause you have to buy lenses made just for it...the new nikon d60 and older d50 are awesome cams tho...remember when buying into dslr...you are buying into the entire package...cause after you get the body...you are stuck with having to buy stuff for that body...so you gotta like Nikon lenses and flashes...even the software...not just the body itself...

all the major brands are pretty good...and everyone generally picks one..and it becomes their favorite...not like theres any real pros/cons that can't be argued both ways between nikon/canon...

fothermucker

Reaction score
I've actually held a Nikon D80 in my hands and used it. I liked it. If you plan to be a serious photo geek then spend the money on a decent body. Lenses cost even more. If you plan to just buy and SLR and keep and use the kit lens forever then the D40 is good.

If you're a weekend warrior and don't know what an f-stop is, then start with a good P&S with all the necessary manual settings. Aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc. A flip/fold out LCD is a must because viewfinders suck on point and shoots.

And if you buy a camera from Best Buy you're paying way too much. I've bought two cameras from www.buydig.com and was happy with their quick delivery. Even Amazon is cheaper. Shop around.

Back