EBC Red Stuff

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
Price: expect to pay $80-$100
Purchased from: Murray's Auto Accessories
Rating: 1 out of 10
Comments: Everybody is raving about EBC brake pads. They advertise less dust more bite. Everyone and their mom on the streets has these cool colored pads on their calipers. You can get them in red or green. Cool. Well, cool doesn't stop you well enough. The fact of the matter is dust-less brake pads have a lot less stopping/gripping force than that of brake pads that do create dust. The dust is a result of a gripping material that is in the brake pads. I took EBC brake pads on my car to VIR. The guys there who race professionally in SCCA and club racing all frowned on dust-less brake pads, especially EBC. I took them out for a spin to see what they were talking about. At first, they did not bite as well but I thought they needed to be broken in. After about 4 laps on a 3.27 mile track, I think I broke them in enough. Fact of the matter is, the OEM brake pads had a LOT more bite than these suckers. EBC makes the worse brake pads in my opinion. I saw a Viper running EBC and by the end of the day all he had was shins for brake pads.

Braking is one of the most important features of a car. Stopping is important, and gripping the rotor is important. Sure it sucks to have to clean up your wheels, but at least you know you are stopping. EBC brake pads simply do not deliver. Do not be fooled by the magazines and tuner scene. EBC might be fine for your daily grandmother Sunday style driving, but take these pads on the track and you are bound to hit a wall or worse a car in front of you. They fade faster than OEM pads and simply do not bite. Even if you mash the pedal hard under thresh hold braking conditions, the car just limo brakes. EBC brake pads will not stop you fast enough and efficiently enough.

Get them because they are cool and look Red or Green (which by the way, the color faded after 6 laps, it turned gray), but do not get them for your life.

nyknick1015

Reaction score
i have these on my car now and i have to take them out... mines make too much noise when braking and i lost braking performace with these put it as compared to almost worn out brake pads

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Wagner Thermo Quiets is where it's at..almost no dust and they bite like OEM..I changed to these awhile back on all my cars and haven't looked back since.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
yup, thermo quiets ftw.

theyre not "cheap" but are very good for the price.

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
The truth is still that dust-less brake pads are not as good as dust-producing brake pads. Not to say they all suck, but it's track proven that dust less brake pads wear out faster with not as much bite. I don't know where the scale goes when compared with OEM, but this specific review was for EBC and I give them thumbs down. I'm looking at Hawk brake pads. It's funny because when I asked the Viper guys about brake pads they named pads I've never heard of before, not even sure if they make them for Honda.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Well if your philosophy is that the more dust they create the harder they bite then look into Axxis ULT pads..because them worthless piece of **** pads dust like no other and brake like ****. Pretty much useless on any car that doesn't drive WOT and brake hard everywhere you go.

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
Well if your philosophy is that the more dust they create the harder they bite then look into Axxis ULT pads..because them worthless piece of **** pads dust like no other and brake like ****. Pretty much useless on any car that doesn't drive WOT and brake hard everywhere you go.

I think we're on two separate pages (maybe not). You are absolutely right about brake pads that brake hard and create an *** load of dust, but you mention a good point and that is driving WOT. I should restate my claim to say for track use. Absolutely dust-less brake pads might be good for daily driving (but even for that EBC sucks and OEM bite better). If Axxis bites as hard as you say, they would be perfect for track use.

Thank you shaved for bringing up a good point I failed to mention earlier. My comments are only relative if one is on a race course driving at WOT.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I'd love to see a review of Hawks.

I'm pretty sure i wrote a review but i like mine. They don't bite as hard on light breaking but a lot better under hard braking. It took me a second to get used to and when i got them, i didn't think i was going to like them but i love them now.

Back