nitrous control on an AT

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
i read it's not good to spray between gear shifts, BUT on an automatic, there's only 4 gears. and if you throw it in D3, it maxes out on 3rd gear at around 60MPH it stops 3000RPM shifting. so i was wondering. would it be okay and/or safe to spray around 60MPH on D3 in AT?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
FallenAngelHIM said:
i read it's not good to spray between gear shifts, BUT on an automatic, there's only 4 gears. and if you throw it in D3, it maxes out on 3rd gear at around 60MPH it stops 3000RPM shifting. so i was wondering. would it be okay and/or safe to spray around 60MPH on D3 in AT?

Sure, long as you don't hit the rev limiter going down the track.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It doesnt max at 60, it just doesnt upshift. You can take it to around 80 or so before you run out of rpms.

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
ahhh, alright, i see what you guys are saying. i never let D3 go beyond 60 (never saw a point since i drive on city roads). alright alright. thanks a lot guys.

HandoEX

Reaction score
Please, please, please don't use nitrous without a window switch. You'll most likely kill the tranny if you don't. Without a window switch, you will spray between shifts, which is the most damaging scenario for an auto transmission. With a window switch you can set the nitrous to only spray during the rpm's between shifts....IE: if your car shifts at say 5000 rpm's, set the window switch to shut off at 4900 and turn back on when the rpm's drop after the shift.

If you wait to spray until you are in third gear, your run will be almost over so what's the point of spraying? I also think that would be well past the power band. A window switch is much more effective. You can get a basic one for $50 or a digital one for $100. It's worth it. Good luck :)

Last edited:

HandoEX

Reaction score
Totalimmortal said:
I'd allmost say don't spray an auto in the first place.
I disagree. The safest way to add power to an auto is to use nitrous with a window switch because with this sort of set up you can add power to the car without adding it during shifts. If the power is only there when the car is not shifting gears, there is much less strain put on the transmission.

accordpower99

Reaction score
If i remember correctly doesnt D3 is your drive gear and will still shift into four and "overdrive" just more torque, 1 and 2 will not shift to the next gear, used mainly for moutains and hills..etc. but please correct me if im wrong.

Back