THE Suspension Review Thread

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score

Please keep all posting that is not a review out of this thread.

This thread is to be used for suspension reviews only.

Suspension is considered:
Springs
Struts
Sways
Coil-overs
etc.

Format will be the same as the Tire Review Sticky:

Brand & model:
Price paid and from where:
Pros:
Cons:
Final verdict:

Please keep all posting that is not a review out of this thread.

Last edited:

BPAccord

*DAIGAKUSOTSU*
Reaction score
Brand: Tanabe DF210 Springs/KYB Gr-2 Shocks
Bought from a member here Indowanksta/Shocks from Henreezy
Pros: Decent drop while still holding stock comfort
Cons: Only drops 2 inches in the front and 1.5 in the rear
Final Verdict: Pretty decent drop and the comfort is almost near stock...Worth every penny...except i hate the gap with 18in wheels

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
Brand & model: Tein S.Tech Springs
Price paid and from where: $155 - HighPerformanceOutlet.com
Pros: Inexpensive, Ride is very compliant, Doesn't have a bad "boat-look" like some other spring setups
Cons: Doesn't drop you that low
Final verdict:SEE BELOW

Brand & model: Tokico HP struts
Price paid and from where: $237 - eBay seller
Pros: Inexpensive, great for pairing with moderate lowering springs, Dampening is very good
Cons: No adjustability, the Illuminas can be had for a bit more money
Final verdict:SEE BELOW

FINAL VERDICT: I think this is a great spring/shock combo for those who don't need any adjustabily of coilovers and don't plan on slamming their car. The ride is really good, and it handles bumps so smoothly, yet provides a nice sporty feel and is SO much better in the twisties than stock.

I give it an A-. Only because I wish I could go lower sometimes. THIS SETUP GAVE ME ~2" DROP. Meaning yeah, I kinda wish I went with coilovers. But these are still a very nice setup for those who wanna get a good stance on their accord for cheap!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

henreeezy xp

Reaction score
Brand & model: Tein Basics
Bought from: chau_alain on here :)
Pros: good drop and comfortable
Cons: too soft and the front is on its last thread and its only a 2 finger gap with 15's. rears have another inch of thread to go lower.
Final verdict: good enough for me, but i really wish i can go lower.

nexTOme

Reaction score
Brand & model:Omni Power Street Version (10kf/8kr)
Price paid and from where: 650 shipped @ iapdirect.com (discontinued)
Pros:
1. 0-4inch height adjustability
2. spring rate/shock travel distance is not changed when ride height is adjusted
3. large shock body -> recovers quick from road's imperfection, offers "firm" ride quality.
4. easy ride height adjustability
5. top mount included, very thick/strong as well
6. GREAT price for GREAT QUALITY

Cons:
1. no dampening adjustablility
2. rear shock might rub endlink a bit
3. requires "break-in", and it sags while breaking-in (but thats same with most of aftermarket springs/coilovers out there)

Final verdict: perfect coilover for those who want their DD slammed, bit of performance but nothing crazy.

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
Brand & model:H&R Sport Springs, Monroe Sensa-Trac struts
Price paid and from where:Springs$200-Ebay, Struts:$260-O'Reillys
Pros:Rides very smooth like OE with a moderate drop,decently easy to compress and install
Cons:eek:nly 1.7'"F,1.5"R Drop=still leaves 3finger gap with my 19's,wish i spend 400$ more on True coilvers
Final verdict:
Great springs and strut combo,decently priced, Rides great and smooth like OE not bouncy or ruff like my old ebay coils.

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
Brand & model: Skunk2 Coilover Sleeves & Tokico HP (Blue) Struts
Price paid and from where: $250 for both the sleeves and struts from Kid2000EX
Pros: Sleeves have great adjustablity, will take you down to barely tucking in the front, and REALLY tucking in the rear. HP's provide a somewhat stiff ride with good rebound.
Cons: Ride is a little rough for city driving
Final verdict: I love the setup, the only way I would get rid of it would be for a full coilover setup. Greatly improves handling.

I4 CG5

Reaction score
Brand & model: Skunk2 sleeves with Tokico Illumina Stuts
Sleeves:
Price paid and from where: Came with car, but retail for about $260 on eBay
Pros:
1. Pretty stiff
2. They are adjustable
3. Skunk2 has great quality
Cons:
1. Pretty stiff, probably too bouncy for some
2. They don't go low enough for me
Final verdict:
Overall I like them. Pretty stiff is a pro and con because the stiffness is good for the track, but bad for driving around town.

Paired together:
I really like this combo, it greatly improves handling with little to no body roll.

Struts:
Price paid and from where: $330 brand new from a member here
Pros:
1. 5-way damper adjustable
2. Easy to adjust (knob is on top of strut, unlike KYBs that have the rear strut's knob behind the wheel)
Cons:
1. None for daily driving
2. Some might want more adjustability for the track
Final verdict:
I really like these struts, and if I was going to do a separate coilover sleeve/strut combo, I would definitely get these struts again.

Last edited:

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
Brand & model: Megan Coilover Sleeves front: 450 lbs/in rear: 350 lbs/in
Price paid and from where: ~$100 from meganracing.com
Pros: good, stiff ride. handled very well paired with the Tokico Illuminas i had them on
Cons: the plastic caps on the tops of the springs broke
Final verdict: the spring rates were good, but the other components of the coilover sleeve were bad, haha.
these are not to be confused with megan racing full coilovers, which is actually a good suspension set up

Brand & model: Tokico Illumina Shocks
Price paid and from where: $365 shipped from ebay
Pros: GREAT shocks, the damper adjustability was awesome
Cons: none
Final verdict: i definitely recommend them to anyone wanting an adjustable damper shock

Brand & model: Skunk2 Coilover Sleeves front: 10 kg/mm (558.8 lbs/in) rear: 6 kg/mm (335.28 lbs/in)
Price paid and from where: ~$200, dont remember where i bought them from
Pros: good set up, they felt like they were a little softer than the Megan sleeves i had before i got these, but the posted rates say otherwise. i had the skunk2's on the illuminas as well, and the ride was just as good. stiff, but good.
Cons: a little stiff for dd, but i didnt mind it
Final verdict: good set up for the cheap route

Brand & model: Ksport Pro Damper 36-way fully adjustable full coilover front: 12 kg/mm (672 lbs/in) rear: 7 kg/mm (392 lbs/in)
Price paid and from where: ~$800 from a local shop
Pros: the damper adjustability is great, you can really fine tune with the 36 different settings. also the shock body height adjustment on the coilover allows for a damn good drop while still maintaining a good ride quality for a coilover.
Cons: i have none yet
Final verdict: definite good buy for a full coilover with the quality ive experienced so far.
5/7/12 - they lasted 4 years and 50k miles and one of my rear shocks have finally blown. no problems with them whatsoever the entire time ive owned them, so im not complaining.

the f2 type 2's i replaced my old ksports with are terrible. one shock blew a couple days after installing them...then another within 6 months. in the 9 months i've had them on my car (installed june 2, 12), i've determined that they're complete garbage, don't handle worth shit and are only good at lowering your car...then continuing to suck. i should've bought another set of ksports.

Last edited:

iHazSnail

Reaction score
Brand & model: Ksport Pro Damper 36-way fully adjustable full coilover
Price paid and from where: $750 + shipping directly from KSports.
Pros: The best drop i have seen or experienced.
Cons: A tad stiff for me.
Final verdict: not for those who want to keep close to the stock ride quality but other than that def a great buy.

Back