Question about DSLR

tnguyen600

Reaction score
So I found a listing on Craigslist this morning for a used Nikon D40 with the 18-55mm lens and all the other goodies. According to the listing, its been used for 5 months and purchased from Calumet. He's selling to upgrade to a better camera. Asking was $400 and I got him down to $350 cash.

My question is, what kinds of things should I look for when purchasing a used DSLR? I don't want to buy the camera, give the dude the cash, and then bring it home to find that somethings not right.

Any feedback is welcomed. Gracias

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
turn it on, make sure it works!

the piece of **** i sold my rebel to didnt...i had to do it for him...only later did i find out he was trying to sell it for a profit so he didnt give a **** if everything worked.

go online and find how the menus look, and familiarize yourself with the outside of the camera. look through the viewfinder...make sure the AF works...make sure theres no card errors...take it for a test drive.

finch13

Reaction score
I would bring a mem card with and make sure it can read/write to it. Take some sample pics. Make sure the shutter functions from lowest to highest. Also make sure the camera can adjust lens aperture, you can preview that with the DEP-preview button. Just look all around it for any scuffs that might mean it was dropped.

tnguyen600

Reaction score
Im JUST getting into dslr so i gotta read up on how to make sure the shutters functions from lowest to highest. thanks guys

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
yea the main thing is looking for the scuffs for signs of droppaage...and shoot a shot at F22 of a wall or something...it will give you a peek at the sensor's dust condition

Back