DIY 9005 Conversion

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
Here it is: 9005 Conversion

Just so you know, I did this with Sylvania Cool Blues and I didn't have to modify to tabs that allow the bulb to secure into the housing. The only thing I did was do the two o-ring deal, and modify where the plugs goes. Once in, I twisted them in all the way over as usual, then I rotated them back just a bit so they were secure. You'll see what I mean when/if you do it.

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
here is the problem, i don't have a soldering iron or a dremel, how do i take the tabs out of the light bulb to make them fit?

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
I didn't use either of those. I used some smaller needle nose pliars and squeezed the tabs INSIDE the plug together and that will snap one of the tabs. And from there I just filed the other one down with a small file. Ask your mom for a nail file, or go to Walgreens and buy one for like 0.10.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
if you were careful, you could probably use a utility knife too. just watch your fingers and eyes!

angelplus

Reaction score
ryan s said:
if you were careful, you could probably use a utility knife too. just watch your fingers and eyes!

mmhmm.

This is a good find, I might try it later.

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
I didn't have to get them completely off for the bulbs to fit. Keep in mind I've only done this to the Sylvania Cool Blue bulbs.

Also, I noticed a BIG difference in light output before and after. Your going from 1000 lumens to 1700 lumens, I allmost need to readjust my headlights. I haven't been getting flashed so Im not worried.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
ive heard of people using wire cutters to cut the tabs off, and then a bit of sand paper or a file depending on how short you cut the tabs.

jwl03

Reaction score
i just sacrificed a soldering iron. It was 7$ from radio shack. Heat the iron up and stick the tip of the iron on the tabs.

After a few seconds, the tabs will start to melt. This takes a while, and it smells really bad, so do it outside. Also, don't plan on reusing that iron for soldering, unless you replace the tip...i heard you cannot solder unless a soldering iron tip is 100% clean? not sure..correct me if im wrong =)

Back