Error 99

tnguyen600

Reaction score
So I finally put on my sigma 28-70mm lens today to shoot and i got that message on the camera. I turned it off and back on and changed it a different setting and it works. But after a lil bit, it would display that message again. Its very inconsistent. Any ideas? the camera is a Canon Rebel XT. Thanks

LitoCG2Rider

Reaction score
Shutter replacement (usually associated with error code "99"):

•Replacing the shutter on the Digital Rebel series requires more disassembly than most other repairs.

•The estimate for shutter replacement is $160-180 on all EOS Digital Rebel models (depending upon the overall condition of the camera).

•E99 error codes are related to shutter or mirror operation and are usually associated with a defective shutter. Cameras that have had heavy use may have shutters that have reached life expectancy and need to be replaced.

maybe this can help you out..
http://www.richardsnotes.org/archives/2005/04/29/50mm-lens-contact-points/

next time try to google it alright..

Last edited:

tnguyen600

Reaction score
just with the sigma lens. I had my buddys canon lens for a couple of days and it has never given me that problem. but when I put on the sigma lens, i got the error code

dynasty

Reaction score
damn. scary to know that you have to fix your camera from an error. good luck on that.

tnguyen600

Reaction score
the thing is, if i turn it off and back on again, and switch it from manual to tv or whatever, it'll work...sometimes. weird..

dynasty

Reaction score
have you tried using another mode besides tv? but didn't you just got the camera?

tnguyen600

Reaction score
yea i just got it off of bill (blackdeathv6) and its fine. I used a canon 25-90mm lens since i got it off of him and haven't had any problems with it...i only had inconsistent problems when i popped on the sigma lens. At times, the sigma lens would work and other times it wouldn't. The manual says that a error 99 usually means its a different lens other then a canon or some shiet.

Has anyone with a canon, use a lens other then a canon and have problems?

Raymond

Reaction score
That's weird. I've never heard of Canon's having problems with Sigma lenses, could be something defective with the electronics of the lens - or something in the camera. Lets hope it's not the camera!

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
yep ive had this...the tamron lens that came with my 300d gave me the err99 after a little while...gave that lens away.

sigma sucks because they basically reverse-engineer lenses and work without approval from the OEMs, and have extreme sample variation. thats why sigma will never get a deal with an OEM (like pentax has the 16-50 f/2.8, made by tokina...the 18-250 made by tamron...etc...but all can come with pentax badging).

the sigma issue with canons is fairly well documented...one of the reasons i wont buy one and didnt when i got my first slr. this is older research, but from what i gather, the lens AND cam would have to be sent to sigma for calibration :ughrun:

Back