Loud Clunking Noise***help***

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
when i started up my car this morning, there was this loud clunking noise.... kinda like the sound u make when putting in a stone into a can and shaking the can... well, i tried looking for loose pieces of stuff tht could have caused it, but nothing... the noise when down as the motor got warmer tho... and the sound was gone when i stepped on the gas.. it came from the front of the car... i doubt it's the suspension.. my guess is the motor, but wat exactly is it?

angelplus

Reaction score
piston rod? lmao

hmm i dunno, i just remember hearing my buddys eclipse snap a piston rod and all you heard was a little clunking noise like you heard from a little tin can lol... but if it went away when the car got warm then i dont know what to tell you.

how many miles are on the car?

hows it driving?

tomorrow morning when you start it up open your hood and turn the car on to listen for the noise.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
H22 time? :D well, after it was warm, the noise was still there... but not as loud as during start-up... i have 82K on my 99 4 banger..... car ran great yesterday, but i have not driven it today... too scared to drive it until i check everything

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
it could be the guts of the cat converter. they could come loose and fall apart, thats what usually happens on old cats. does your car make like a slight rattle when its sitting at like, a red light idling? or like, when youre fully stopped and you barely push the gas down, i mean barely enough to get the car to move, does the noise happen again? if so, then i bet its your cat. i had the same problem when i had my lincoln.

HondaGus

Reaction score
DOH!!! this sounds like what happened to my car! check your dip stick for metal from the motor. on the dip stick its magnetic.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
Sketch o5 said:
it could be the guts of the cat converter. they could come loose and fall apart, thats what usually happens on old cats. does your car make like a slight rattle when its sitting at like, a red light idling? or like, when youre fully stopped and you barely push the gas down, i mean barely enough to get the car to move, does the noise happen again? if so, then i bet its your cat. i had the same problem when i had my lincoln.

i just replaced my cat 3K miles ago :p and i had the cat cover rebolted in 1k ago.... i've heard wat a loose cat cover sounds like, but it's def not this... it's wayyy louder... maybe gus is right abt something metal loose in my engine.. but how do i get it out? there was nothing on the dip stick

Back