Beginners Camera

GreddyAccord99

Reaction score
Well, Ive been thinking and I think I want to upgrade my camera. I feel I have awesome ideas and settings and everytime I perform a photoshoot, I end up disappointed because the pictures could be clearer or more sleek or something. Not only that but I need photoshop too! I feel like my point and shoot sony cybershot isnt cutting it. Either I need to upgrade the camera, or my skills (meaning learn the settings to the fullest).

Anyways, what would be a good or the best camera for a beginner to start with for their first step in real photography?

nyknick1015

Reaction score
honestly if u plan on doing real photoshoot type photography then i say go right ahead... go for a cannon dslr camera and professional lens... its gonna run you a good grand or so

me i feel like i dont need to spend that much money on it. I have photoshop and a standard point and shoot camera. you just gotta know how to play around with it and stuff in photoshop... look how my stuff came out. Most great pics are post production work

original point and shoot camera
100_0426.jpg

after photo enhancement
car2.jpg

dynasty

Reaction score
for beginners, i would go with Canon Rebel. then save up and buy a good lense. do not cheap out on your lense or else you'll regret it..... like me... but a 50mm f1.8 is a good investment for a cheap prime lense. other than that, if you plan to take pictures of upclose, go with 18-55mm or something similar. if you are into landscape or sports, go with 70-300mm.

but photoshop is only a tool to enhance a picture. sometimes your pictures don't need to enhance if you have a good camera, lense, and know how to adjust your settings. good luck with it though.

tnguyen600

Reaction score
i bought a canon rebel xt and im loving it. I purchased the 50mm f/1.8 for it too and its nice. Im looking into getting a mid range lens like a 28-135mm IS.

but yea, if you don't mind getting a used camera, check out craigslist. they usually have a bunch listed b/c people are upgrading.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
i post process very little. not that "im just that awesome" but if you get it right while taking the pic, very little needs to be done later.

if i were in your position, i would skip the rebel series. i learned on one, but that was when 20d/30d were still expensive. i hated it...so a used 20/30d is my recommendation, since the 50d has just come out and (logical) people skip a gen to upgrade. like...ill get rid of my k10d when the k30d comes out.

go with primes...zooms are ftl

i know this wont go far...but...let me just say: i loveeeeeeeeee the colors my pentax gives me. my old rebel looked so flat and contrast-less...ugh.

pattywak

Reaction score
I have a different opinion from most of the people who have posted so far.

Coming from a total camera noob, I would say to with the Nikon D40. It does a good job bridging the gap between P&S Cameras and DSLRs, and the intuitive help menues really do help out a lot with learning the different characteristics and changes you can make to the settings. I love my D40 and keep learning with it every time I take it shooting, albeit slowly but surely.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
if we're going total "entry level" then i would say wait for the pentax k-m. it has a help button right on the body :lawl:

oh and the fact its almost 5 years newer than a d40.

d1blet

Reaction score
I do like the sound of the Pentax a lot.

Another option that you might consider is the Sony A200. Sony worked with Konica-Minolta for their A-series DSLR's, so they're all pretty decent. If you're used to the Sony name (you do have a CyberShot), then you should give one a try. But honestly, it seems like a lot of people prefer the Canon platform.

pattywak

Reaction score
if we're going total "entry level" then i would say wait for the pentax k-m. it has a help button right on the body :lawl:

oh and the fact its almost 5 years newer than a d40.

The D40 has a help button as well. :thumbup:

But in all honesty, you should get your hands on some of the cameras and feel them out for yourself. My uncle had a Canon dSLR that I played around with for a while and I didn't like the feel it had - the body felt off, kinda plastic-y, and it just felt cheaper than the Nikon. But that's just me. So head to a store or a friends house and try out the cameras for yourself and find out which one you really like better.

dynasty

Reaction score
canon lenses is cheaper the nikon lenses. that's the reason why i bought my Canon 30d. haha.

FYI, 20D is discontinued. i think 30D is about to be discontinued also.

Back