Help Asap Torque For Header?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

wesmac

Reaction score
Im about to install the header, and what torque do I torque the header to?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
wesmac said:
Im about to install the header, and what torque do I torque the header to?

12ftlbs I believe...so basically as tight as you can w/ the ratchet, no need for a torque wrench.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
BlkCurrantKord said:
12ftlbs I believe...so basically as tight as you can w/ the ratchet, no need for a torque wrench.

Exactly.
But make sure you go from the inside and work your way out.
Don't start at one end and go to the other

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
12ft/lbs? so about how much more until you should be using a torque wrench? for brake pads, exhaust, cats, headers using a hand wrench should be fine right?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
FallenAngelHIM said:
12ft/lbs? so about how much more until you should be using a torque wrench? for brake pads, exhaust, cats, headers using a hand wrench should be fine right?

When you get to stuff like torquing the wheels down. Hand wrench is fine for all of those.

wesmac

Reaction score
Well, sad to say it, but a friend and I were going to install everything tonight, but couldnt get the 7yr. old rusty screws to budge. Tomorrow I will get my exhaust put in at a local muffler shop, and when I get the cai, I will get my header installed at show and go customs, might as well have it done right, I dont want to force a screw and break it off in the aluminum head....

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The header screws? Those are so easy, did you use some lubricant? WD40 or PB Blaster? There's really no reason why you shouldn't be able to get those off. The ones on the cat, sure, those might require a torch and some beating/air tools.

wesmac

Reaction score
Yeah, the ones on the cat were impossible, the ones on the head, Im just afraid to take the chance....I know thats sad, but safe is best.

jackhunt321

Reaction score
Sometimes if the exhaust has never been serviced the catalytic convertor nuts must be cut off. ALL of the header bolts should come off. Try some PB Blaster or any penetrating oil to ease your troubles...let it soak for an hour or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back