ignition locks up randomly

accordator

Reaction score
hey,

you know there're 2 clicks when you turn off the engine. first click turns off the engine, and second click requires you to push the key in in order to remove it. i have a problem when it comes to the second click. sometimes when i park my car straight, i find it very easy to remove it after the second click, but when i park like sh* i couldnt get to the second click at all after the first click - it just locks up. when that happens, i have to back up my car and forward again to straight the wheels. strange thing is, sometimes even if my wheels arent straight i can still get to the second click and remove the key, but sometimes it just locks up after the first click. is that normal? does that happen to any of you guys? because its getting annoying at times.

wg2k7

Reaction score
didnt click but im guessing thats the recall, definatly get that done. i had the same problem and that fixed it

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
i read in the owners manual (yes, i read it!) that if you park with the wheel not straight it locks the wheel and makes it difficult to change gears. when the wheel is locked the ignition acts up, like you said (at least it does to me). sometimes the wheel wont lock--sometimes it does, and you might be able to get the key in/out ok even when locked. it was locked for me today, and i had to push the key in harder.

solution: like you said, dont park like sh1t haha. just keep the wheels straight and you should be good to go ;)

accordator

Reaction score
yeah see here's the bigger problem when you go to downtown and you have to parallel park on the street. and most of the time you cant back up to straighten your wheels because the lack of space between the two cars. and only straigthening the sterring wheel definately wont help neither. over 7 out of 10 times i have hard time getting my key out when i go clubbing in downtown lol

but how come my friend's 98 4banger doesnt have this problem? it only locks like that on av6?

wg2k7 how much did you get yours fixed? where and how long? :)

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
hmmm...i dont know whats the difference between the 4 and 6, cause i have a 4 :D if you take it in to the dealer, you can ask them to run your VIN. it should come back with all the recalls that have/have not been fixed. itll be free to fix.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
accordator said:
but how come my friend's 98 4banger doesnt have this problem? it only locks like that on av6?

wg2k7 how much did you get yours fixed? where and how long? :)

their was a recall on certain models, or certain vin numbers or w/e. if you read the thing i posted, or looked into the Shift Lock recall for a 6th gen accord, youd understand that you could take it to the dealer and theyll fix it...........free.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
When you turn the wheel all the way in 1 direction and do one "click" the wheel locks in that position, its supposed to do that, you just give it an extra tug in the direction you were turning and the key will come out.

As for the 2nd click thing, if the steering wheel is straight then try jiggling the shifter while its in park, mine does this occasionally ever since I got my tranny rebuilt.

Back