DIY: SRI Heat Shield

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
my intake doesnt go down that far. my filter is directly behind the battery. i was thinking of taking this a step further. instead of sealing the top to the hood, why not make a cover for it? and then, make a little extension pipe on the bottom to go to the stock intakes hole in the frame? diy icebox :D

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I haven't made one for an accord but i did on my talon. Nobody made a cold air intake because of the stock sidemount. I basically got a roll of thin alumminum for about $5. Then made a template out of cardboard, cut it down until it cleared the hood.

Thier are two ways to do it, one is to try to make it open on top and seal to the hood. Or you can just rivit a top on and make it marginally smaller. I did it both ways and the second is easier, and you know it seals. Plus it looks better if you take your time and since it has the same functionality, why not go with what looks best.

CrosCntryAccord

Reaction score
all i did was take the plastic shield from the battery and rotated it to cover the filter, plastic is better than metal and there is some room in the front just incase the air is hard to get out of the bumper well

Last edited:

Tek_Rice

Reaction score
For the heat shields using the aluminum and sheet metal, what is the point? It's like having an extra source of heat sitting next to your intake filter.

THere are also a few tests done with the accords. When we are moving, the temperature of the engine bay is almost the same as outside. So a heat shield is absolutely worthless if it's made out of metal. Only "real" one i've seen, is the comptech ice box.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
For the heat shields using the aluminum and sheet metal, what is the point? It's like having an extra source of heat sitting next to your intake filter.

THere are also a few tests done with the accords. When we are moving, the temperature of the engine bay is almost the same as outside. So a heat shield is absolutely worthless if it's made out of metal. Only "real" one i've seen, is the comptech ice box.

Well, i personally used aluminum on my talon. It's far harder to heat up aluminum than air. On a turbo car, heat comes quick goes quick. Anyway, i saw about a 10 degree drop in intake temperatures after the sheild when driving hard and about 5 degree during regular driving. I also saw a relatively unnoticeable change on idle, after a few min (it would cool down faster). This was a turbo car with a packed bay, i wouldn't image you would see anything near that on an accord.

Tek_Rice

Reaction score
Well, i personally used aluminum on my talon. It's far harder to heat up aluminum than air. On a turbo car, heat comes quick goes quick. Anyway, i saw about a 10 degree drop in intake temperatures after the sheild when driving hard and about 5 degree during regular driving. I also saw a relatively unnoticeable change on idle, after a few min (it would cool down faster). This was a turbo car with a packed bay, i wouldn't image you would see anything near that on an accord.

Well it definitely does not apply to every car. But for the accord, those "heat shields" are a joke. They're for sale for 20 bucks on ebay. Made out of aluminum or sheet metal. I'm just hoping no one here falls into this trap. Maybe it will work on certain cars, but for most of us, it's just a waste of money...

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Well it definitely does not apply to every car. But for the accord, those "heat shields" are a joke. They're for sale for 20 bucks on ebay. Made out of aluminum or sheet metal. I'm just hoping no one here falls into this trap. Maybe it will work on certain cars, but for most of us, it's just a waste of money...

Yeah, i mean, my guess is no gain. I don't know if accords have an intake temp parameter you can look at through a data logger but if you can, that's how you figure it out. If the temp is lower, good. If not, waste of money.

Back