Painting my interior....

Browntown

Reaction score
Okay... 98 LX 2.3L Auto Emerald Green. My interior is two toned. Tan and Brown(?). The brown is on the top of the dash, underside of dash, bottom of doors, etc. I want to paint ALL the brown to black. I chose black because it's simple. Anyways, what do you guys think? Will I be able to get this done in a few days (Thurs night - Sunday night) and is it even worth it? Pros/ Cons please? :confused: What brand/type paint should I use?

Browntown

Reaction score
Sketch o5 said:
i think it would look alright. ive thought of it, but im not gonna do it......i fear paint chips.

yeah, me too. I asked a friend about that and he said to put clearcoat on it. I don't want it shiny like that though. Ideally, I want it to look like it came from the factory that way.

wg2k7

Reaction score
if it looks good i might let you do mine too! good luck if you go through with it, id love to see it and maybe follow through with it someday too

Browntown

Reaction score
Okay, nevermind..... this is on hold. I just cracked one of my rims. This sucks. It's gonna cost me $100 to fix it!! Now I have 3 rims and a full size spare on my ride.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
Browntown said:
yeah, me too. I asked a friend about that and he said to put clearcoat on it. I don't want it shiny like that though. Ideally, I want it to look like it came from the factory that way.

yea, i deff feel ya on the factory look, thats what i would want for mine too. clearcoat would deff be way too much.

steadypimpin

Reaction score
I checked out your car page. I like the originality, a little too much for myself but to each's own. You know your stuff tho I must admit.

heathan

Reaction score
interior painting

I've painted nearly my entire interior(more than once due to indecisivness), and I used two different kinds of paint. 1st was the krylon fusion brand paints. It dries super fast and absorbs into the plastic so it won't ever chip. (All paint scratches though mind you). I clearcoated the center console also to "people proof" it. On the dash I used Duplicolor Fabric & Vinyl paint. It's better used on fabric in my opinion because it's only a coating. It's ABSOLUTELY nessessary to use it on the o-sh1t handles and shifter know though because any other paint, including the krylon will leave them tacky for days. Even with light coats. The Duplicolor dries right away on them though. I didn't clearcoat my dash due to the glare issue, but i don't think it would have made much of a difference if I had anyway.
Oh, and with the krylon you don't have to sand the pieces or anything. Just wipe them down with rubbing alchohol or something to clean the oils off them first. It's very possible to gut your car and paint it completly within a few days. I personally don't spend 5 hours painting at a time or anything, so it's taken a while longer.

Let me know how it turns out if you decide to do it. I have some pics of my ride(old and new) at http://www.cardomain.com/profile/heathan so you can take a look at how some of it came out.

One last thing. If you do decide to paint it all black, check out my page for the DIY on taking out and spraying the headliner black too. It makes a huge difference.

Last edited:

PistonHonda

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm brand new to the forum.

I've been thinking about painting my interior as well. I have a 98 Accord sedan that is that Honda purple color and th interior is gray. I thought a tan interior would really pop against the purple.

The problem I'm finding is with the most commonly used paints there are not a whole lot of color selections. I'm like to find two colors (darker tan and light tan) but I haven't found the perfect colors yet. Do you know which paint option might open up the greatest number of color selections?

Thanks,

=Justin=

Back