Cleared my 01-02 tail lights today (56k)

almightyfargoth

Reaction score
I made a small write-up of my efforts to change my 01-02 sedan tail lights to a red/clear set up accompanied by pictures. I'll try to add a few better pictures tomorrow when there is more light out because its kind of overcast where I live right now and the sun is setting. (where's Tien and his solarflare when you actually need him?)

After actually taking the light housing out of the bumper (unscrew three nuts, unplug bulbs, pull) I took pictures along the way with my efforts to open the lights to get to those damn amber pieces. I went the oven route and set it for 215 and put them both in for 7 minutes. I wanted to work on getting them loose carefully after removing them from the oven so I had to actually put the one I wasn't working on back in the oven for another 5 minutes because it had cooled off too much while sitting there to risk trying to pry it open. After actually removing the amber pieces I snapped both lights back together and put them in the oven again at the same temperature for 5 minutes. I took them out and let them sit on a makeshift stand I made from one of the oven's racks wrapped in a towel so they could cool and the sealant could harden once more. After about 5 more minutes I took them back to my car and reversed the removal process and made sure all the lights functioned. They did, so I smiled with happiness. The end.

Oh and I ordered some chrome turn signal bulbs from our friends at tasauto.com so I won't get in trouble with the popo. They should be here this weekend so the job will be truly completed once those are installed.

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

Last edited:

A-cord

Reaction score
LOLLL at the last pic, looks good.. whatd you use to reseal them? or you just melt them back together?

edit] nice reference to tien hahah

Last edited:

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Looks good. A lot easier and smarter than reaching through the back hole with needle nose.

almightyfargoth

Reaction score
LOLLL at the last pic, looks good.. whatd you use to reseal them? or you just melt them back together?

edit] nice reference to tien hahah
Yeah, its was a very "get off my PLANE!" moment. I just re-melted them in the oven and snapped them together and then basically bear hugged them until they cooled off.

Looks good. A lot easier and smarter than reaching through the back hole with needle nose.

Originally I thought about doing that because it "seemed" faster but I stood there in my driveway with a pair of pliers scratching my head thinking "if I'm trying to not break anything, this doesn't seem like a good idea."

almightyfargoth

Reaction score
NIce one!!! You should come to the college park supraforums meet tomorrow night.

I got work the next two nights until about 11:30pm. I mean someone has to pay for my lapdances. :leeann:

Is it actually taking place in college park, MD? If you're going be sure to rep the hell out of your CG.

Last edited:

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Originally I thought about doing that because it "seemed" faster but I stood there in my driveway with a pair of pliers scratching my head thinking "if I'm trying to not break anything, this doesn't seem like a good idea."
lol, yeah it's faster but you screw up the bulb socket and scratch the **** out of the reflector.. That's why I have new taillights now lol..

Back