Moving the O2 Sensor

Icemul

Reaction score
I just got a Megan 4-2-1 header which I'm hoping to install on friday. My question is about the O2 sensor. On the stock sensor its in the front at the top of the header, but with the Megan header the sensor goes in at the bottom right before the CAT. I was wondering if the O2 wire is long enough to just re-route it or if I'll have to splice it. I had to splice it on my old civic which sucked, I really hope I can re-route it!!!!!

Icemul

Reaction score
I agree, they "Should"
But I saved a bunch of money by switching to Geico, and so they are used and probably the older style.

The inlet for the O2 is on the bottom next to the CAT. Sometime I hate being a cheap a**!

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
I dunno then. I dont know if putting your main o2 sensor, which determines your A/F, will yield any bad results. What state do you live in, alteration of the o2 sensor can possibly cause you to fail an inspection.

Icemul

Reaction score
I live in VA, but it should effect the inspection.
Worse case I'd just have to lengthen the wires going to the sensor which shouldn't effect sensor. I'm just hoping I can re-route the wire from the front of the engine to the back and down to the bottom.

Its in the same location as the last pic on this page: header

Last edited:

jackhunt321

Reaction score
if you lengthen the wires it can only be done on the harness side of the wires. When doing it you must have soldered connections with shrink tubing or you r 02 sensors reading will be altered. Why not just take the header to Monroe or Meineke and pay $10 to get a 02 sensor bung welded on higher? Make sure whoever is doing it has a TIG welder so the bungs doesn't rust out. Do it RIGHT or GO HOME!

jackhunt321

Reaction score
if nayone in your area has stainless exhausts they will have a TIG. MIG is NOT what you want welded to your header, unless your header isn't stainless.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
If you havea megan header there's no need to extend the o2 sensor.
the primary one screws right on one of the bunges on the header and the secondary one doesn't hagve to be removed. It's in the cat.
Ther is an inlet the the secondary o2 sensor on the actual downpipe, but that not necessary for our cars.

Back