Brake Lights Problem

traxxxstar

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with my brake lights.
When I hit the brakes no lights, but the tail lights all work fine.
I checked the fuses to all the light sytems and they seem fine. And the lights are all new.
Any suggestions would be great, thanx.

traxxxstar

Reaction score
yeah I checked all three, even though the "STOP" fuse is under the hood. and every fuse associated with lights looks good.

Icemul

Reaction score
Don't know if this will help, but I had the same problem with my old Acura. I had put the bulbs in backwards, I just flipped them around it they worked fine. I'd check to make sure they are secured properly.

dynasty

Reaction score
when you turn on your dim lights, does the bulb light up?

i'm not sure if you guys know this but there are 2 springs that will light up inside the bulb. one is for dim and the other is for the actual brake lights. if the dim lights turn on and when you brake, it doesn't turn on also, you either have the wrong bulb or one of the spring that suppose to light up is burned out. hope i didn't confuse anyone.

traxxxstar

Reaction score
jdm_dynasty said:
when you turn on your dim lights, does the bulb light up?

i'm not sure if you guys know this but there are 2 springs that will light up inside the bulb. one is for dim and the other is for the actual brake lights. if the dim lights turn on and when you brake, it doesn't turn on also, you either have the wrong bulb or one of the spring that suppose to light up is burned out. hope i didn't confuse anyone.

Yeah I've seen what you're talking about with the 2 coils. The first one lights up but the second one doesn't. and I don't think the coil is burned out b/c all the bulbs are new and none of them come on when I hit the brakes.

dynasty

Reaction score
i would say, check the connection but i'm sure you haven't splice the wires for your brake, i hope. but it's pretty obvious to check if one of the coils is burned out. if you have clears, then you can tell if one of them is burned but if you have hyper whites, then it's hard to see inside the bulb.

traxxxstar

Reaction score
yeah I checked the coils everything looks good and the lights come on when I turn on the headlights but not for the brake pedal

derektuan

Reaction score
traxxxstar said:
yeah I checked the coils everything looks good and the lights come on when I turn on the headlights but not for the brake pedal

This issue has happend to me twice, you need to look at your brake switch, if this switch is sticky or bad you will not have any brake lights. it's locates under the brake pedal. You can buy it from the Honda Dealers or NAPA shop and replace it yourself.

traxxxstar

Reaction score
Thanks, it was the brake switch, I took it to a shop cuz I needed to get new front rotors and had them check the switch out while they were at it.

Back