'Tint' Question (California)

Bboy_Zen

Reaction score
Anyone know how much of a tint for tail lights can get you pulled over? I mean, if its not smoked out to the 'max' then its alright.. right? I'm not sure what the regulations are, but if anyone knows..

Ohh and another quick question, does anyone know how much of a tint is legal for the windows? (Driver, all passenger side windows, back window)

Thanks in advance.

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
ANY tint on the tail light ANYWHERE can, and most likely will, get you pulled over. Especially in Cali. I'm fairly sure you can't have any tint on the front windows and 35% on the rest.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
not exactally, i red once somewhere that you have to be able to see red from a certain distance behind your car at all times during the day. thats why those 100% clear lights that people used to put on the back of their cars became illlegal, theirs no red in them, unless you have the lights on 24/7. also why on cars you see these days, like the rx330 and the merc mountainier or however its spelled have parts of read on the back of the car.

ryon527

Reaction score
Sketch o5 said:
not exactally, i red once somewhere that you have to be able to see red from a certain distance behind your car at all times during the day. thats why those 100% clear lights that people used to put on the back of their cars became illlegal, theirs no red in them, unless you have the lights on 24/7. also why on cars you see these days, like the rx330 and the merc mountainier or however its spelled have parts of read on the back of the car.

you have to see the taillights from a distance of 300 feet. the mountainer and the rx330 get away with not having red taillights by having red reflectors on the back bumpers.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
ryon527 said:
you have to see the taillights from a distance of 300 feet. the mountainer and the rx330 get away with not having red taillights by having red reflectors on the back bumpers.

exactally, and the mountainer has the red 3rd brake light on the roof.

Telri

Reaction score
FMVSS 108 (Title 49)

If you scroll down to the bottom of that and look at the tables, it tells you the federal requirements on automotive lighting and other required equipment. Keep in mind that the general rule is that states can have stricter laws, but not more lax laws than federal requirements.

Stunna1

Reaction score
i live in cali and have 5% on all windows except the windshield.. but a 5% strip on the top...i have got pulled over 1 time by high patrol got it singed off..depends on where you live i guess.. ;)

Browntown

Reaction score
I live in Cali (SoCal) and it seems like everything is illegal over here :( ....but enforcemment depends on the cop and the area....

blindside

Reaction score
Browntown said:
I live in Cali (SoCal) and it seems like everything is illegal over here :( ....but enforcemment depends on the cop and the area....

hahahaha! so true... use to live in glendale.

Bboy_Zen

Reaction score
Glendale? I'm at a Circuit City in Glendale next to the 'Marketplace' writing this. Pretty funny. I used to live in La Crescenta. Not sure if you know where that is, but its pretty close to Glendale. I heard that cops here are strict and douchebags.

Back