CF Hood Question

Telri

Reaction score
I wanted to get a vented CF hood (like the Seibon VSII), but I was wondering if it would cause problems when it rains. Primarily water getting on the engine while its still hot, but not running, causing the block to crack, etc. Anyone have any experience, or suggestions?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have the VIS Invader, there's no problem w/ water getting in or on the engine. Even if it did, it wouldn't be enough to cause any amount of damage and it'd be evaporated almost immediately.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
i've seen a lot of ppl actually covering up the hole from the inside... also seen some ppl actually making a drain, and redirecting the water elsewhere

Browntown

Reaction score
Telri said:
I wanted to get a vented CF hood (like the Seibon VSII), but I was wondering if it would cause problems when it rains. Primarily water getting on the engine while its still hot, but not running, causing the block to crack, etc. Anyone have any experience, or suggestions?

I would imagine that unless it's an incredible amount of rain.... it would dry up on the warm hood and even if it didn't.... I can't imagine a little rain messing up your engine cause it wouldn't be enough to flood it out.

Telri

Reaction score
Well I'm not worried about flooding, but my friend actually cracked his engine block because he had a hole in his hood (rusted out), and water dripped on the engine while it was still hot, but not running. Sort of similar to how pans warp if you put them under water while still hot.

EDIT: I live in Hawaii, there are times when it can be raining on half a building, but not the other half. And sometimes we get some pretty intense rain. Which is why I am wondering if there are problems with the engine getting water on it, particularly while still hot.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
oooo... i've been to hawaii and i know the weather is whack!! rainy in the mountains, but sunny at the beaches.... i'd go for an OEM style cf hood... looks good, no water issues, and lighter too :D

Telri

Reaction score
Yea, I figure I'll do that. I was actually thinking of getting a CF hood and trunk lid, and then painting the roof black. Then I saw andy's (I think?) post about doing that, and figured I probably wasn't the only person who thought that would like kinda cool.

Browntown

Reaction score
Telri said:
Yea, I figure I'll do that. I was actually thinking of getting a CF hood and trunk lid, and then painting the roof black. Then I saw andy's (I think?) post about doing that, and figured I probably wasn't the only person who thought that would like kinda cool.

It's a good look.... I agree with DarkSide... go with the OEM style.

Phut

Reaction score
Telri said:
Well I'm not worried about flooding, but my friend actually cracked his engine block because he had a hole in his hood (rusted out), and water dripped on the engine while it was still hot, but not running. Sort of similar to how pans warp if you put them under water while still hot.

EDIT: I live in Hawaii, there are times when it can be raining on half a building, but not the other half. And sometimes we get some pretty intense rain. Which is why I am wondering if there are problems with the engine getting water on it, particularly while still hot.
what part of hawaii you from? i'm on maui. the weather is iffy in our state. it can be raining really bad for a short amount of the day then sunny right after. i just tried taking some hard water spots on my new paint but no luck.

Back