Screw g"A"y EM, I'll make my own CAI

theaccordian

Reaction score
Well since AEM is being stingy and not giving me a CARB sticker. I say screw em.
I had to pull it out to get smogged anyway and put my stock airbox in. Surprisingly, my low end felt stronger, but my top end sucked. As expected.

Then I was thinking, what so good about a COLD AIR INTAKE! I lose low end and my header heats up my intake pipe so bad whats the point of "Cold Air" if my intake pipe is gonna heat it up anyway. Short ram is even worse! The sound is what gives people the "illusion of speed."

So I decided to make my own.I decided to use Comptech's design. Basically an airbox with a CAI tube extension. What I did was took the snorkel that sucks air from the engine bay, from the stock airbox and stick it in the inlet that connects to the resonator. It didnt wanna fit so I cut a 1/4" piece out of the snorkel tube and it popped in. Wrapped it with 5 layers of ductape and voila! Homeade CAI.

Comptech... eat your heart out :cool:

DSC02526.jpg

DSC02528.jpg

DSC02527.jpg

whats the difference? Comptech can take that $300 and shove it.
330-140.jpg

Install was a breeze, just pull out the stock resonator and drop the airbox in like normal.

Driving with it I feel the low end from the stock air box design (box holds in accessible air at low rpm) and at high rpm it felt the same as my V2. Kinda hard to tell the sound of the V2 really clouds my judgement.

I should of done this earlier. Its easy as f*ck, free, looks completely stock, gives power throughout the powerband (not just top end), doesnt heat soak, and you dont have to worry about hydrolock either, and doesent make your car sound faster than it really is. I just need a high flow drop in k&n filter and I'll be set.

I hope AEM doesent find out and assisnate me, from fears that theyll go under because people wised up and ddint fall for their bs marketing campaigns and made their own sh*t.

Last edited:

and_one

Reaction score
hey does it actually do anything? have you tried it? looks decent...i think im goin to try this...what did you use? is that electric tape to attach them together??? let me know how it is

and_one

Reaction score
oh just read the bottom post...and how did you get black duct tape

theaccordian

Reaction score
and_one said:
hey does it actually do anything? have you tried it? looks decent...i think im goin to try this...what did you use? is that electric tape to attach them together??? let me know how it is

basically its the same as removing your resonator + a CAI extension. Thats what it is in a nutshell. I have to drive around a little more to see the real gains and do a back to back run with my V2. Only downside I can see is the air box outlet hole is tiny, which is probably restrictive.

I used scissors and duck tape.

Why not try it? what do you have to lose.

and_one

Reaction score
true...when i have time off from work i will definately try this...probably wont be til friday or saturday...but yeah let me kno if you have any setbacks or any gains from this...keep us posted

theaccordian

Reaction score
and_one said:
oh just read the bottom post...and how did you get black duct tape

thats just aesthetic, doesent really matter what color it is. You can problaby find it at any store.

Also on the snorkel that little tube protruding out of it you have to cut that out too for it to fit.

theaccordian

Reaction score
and_one said:
true...when i have time off from work i will definately try this...probably wont be til friday or saturday...but yeah let me kno if you have any setbacks or any gains from this...keep us posted

it literally took me 20 minutes..

and_one

Reaction score
theaccordian said:
thats just aesthetic, doesent really matter what color it is. You can problaby find it at any store.

Also on the snorkel that little tube protruding out of it you have to cut that out too for it to fit.

isnt there gonna be a hole there...if so did you just duct tape the hole too...for the little snorkel piece

and_one

Reaction score
theaccordian said:
yup...the ghettoer the better :D

hahaha... :D :D :D ....thats true...but nothing beats free....or cheap...GHETTO STYLE...hahaha...maybe this should be moved to the DIY section :)

Back