3M headlight restoration kit

Plutonium Jones

Reaction score
Well...the product im reviewing is the 3M headlight restoration kit that promises to remove oxidation and return your headlight to its original shine. The thing about it is that it uses a home power screwdriver (1000rpms-1400) and the products provided. Its quite simple looking in the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t1RBw0IGXA

The only gripe i had was that using the power screwdriver i had left me kinda irked cause it kept gripping to the headlight. The good part was that i was persistent, so each part can be used by hand if anything does go wrong. For 20 bucks, id say yeah, if you can use a power screw properly unlike me, shell out. its at all autozone's. But overall, you can just buy the trizac foampad 3000 grit, 800 grit, and 500 grit sand paper with a whole bottle of meguire's plast-x for a little bit under or the same.

Price: $20-24
Place: Autozone
IMO: i give this product a 86/100

pros: this s*** does work...and will do what it says (just not to perfection)
everything needed is in there with damn near idiot proof instructions
it doesnt matter if anything breaks down, you can do it all by hand
only 20 bucks plus tax

cons: you can find the material cheaper and do it by hand
if the screwdriver isnt good enough, then youve wasted a few bucks...
you will need more polish than given to get that 'OCD' clean look

Last edited:

swollen_cu

Reaction score
All i do is sand with 1000 grit/ than 2000 grit than poilish with a high speed polisher, Alot better/cheaper than this method. IF you have the required material.

Plutonium Jones

Reaction score
All i do is sand with 1000 grit/ than 2000 grit than poilish with a high speed polisher, Alot better/cheaper than this method. IF you have the required material.

i agree with you wholeheartedly (seeing how i ended up doing so in the end)
however if you've got more than one car to do, then it helps out a bit and cuts a bit of the time and irritation, especially since you can get more grit paper and slap it on there.

still, i wouldve bought just grit paper if a power buffer/polisher was available...so 'everything' was done by hand in the end.

ejreams

Reaction score
i agree with you wholeheartedly (seeing how i ended up doing so in the end)
however if you've got more than one car to do, then it helps out a bit and cuts a bit of the time and irritation, especially since you can get more grit paper and slap it on there.

still, i wouldve bought just grit paper if a power buffer/polisher was available...so 'everything' was done by hand in the end.

I work at a detail shop so I just use our buffer with dry wax lol
sparkle.
oh and its free.99 lol :thumbsup:

tdoggs01v6

Reaction score
i used some mothers polish aluminum and mag wheel polish and a drill with a cloth and a sanding disc back and worked just fine.

SaNiFe

Reaction score
I just picked up a kit and hope to use it this weekend. I couldnt find the kit locally but got one for 14.99 shipped on Ebay. Seller has many kits available search on "3M 39008 headlight lens restoration kit" at 2 different prices, look for the 14.99 one.

Back