Quick(lengthy) question on H1 and H3 bulbs

theskytraveler

Reaction score
I have gunmetal projector headlights. I am running H1 Hyper white and H3 Hyper white bulbs in the projectors from procarparts.

my H1s and H3s are rated at 4200k color temp and 100w output

1. If I get a better H1 and H3 bulbs lets say one that has a higher wattage out put and a color temp of 7000k would the light out put be better?

There are several bulb manufacturers out there but I like Nokya, Luminics and PIAA

I can get Nokya Artic White H1s for $22.99. The color temp is 7000k 55w draw/100w output

but I also saw the Nokya Cosmic white H1s for 39.99 the color temp is 5000k
80w output (don't know the draw wattage) (most likely would not get these)

The PIAAs:

Xtreme white plus H1 bulb 67.99 color temp 4000k 55w draw/110w output

Luminics:

Titanium white H1 bulb is 37.99 color temp 5500k 55w draw/130w output

I'm figuring that the Nokya Cosmic whites have lower wattage so I would not bother with them though the color temp is different

The PIAA Xtreme white bulbs are color temped at 4000k 200k less than what I have but they have 10watts more output.

And the Titanium white H1s are definitely a different color temp and 30watts more than what I have.

I guess I just want to confirm that If I get the 130watt H1s from Luminics, would that be a better light output on my projectors then the 100watt procarparts H1s I have now?

PS: please lets not get into the debate on why I should switch from these projectors to an HID Kit or Retrofit. I am with you guys on that, but its not in my immediate budget. I just want to see if I can get a better bulb to give me a better output at this stage in the game :)

Last edited:

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
Wattage is not light output. Light output is measured in Lumens. Generally, a high wattage will net a high lumen rating. A good set of bulbs will give you this spec on the package. A general rule of thumb when buying high wattage bulbs, dont.

justvtec

Reaction score
OK man now i had some ebay projectors and the driving and brights were both H1!!!!!!! Now too answer your question if you get any of those bulbs all they will give you is color output(Not Distance) trust me i was going threw the same thing you are!!!!!!!!! Now when i had those projectors i went threw 4 types of h1's blues(which gives a white output) were Cuzo, Piaa, Luminics, Nokya :eek: !!!!!!!!!!! Ya i know that is a lot off lights i went threw! But the best light output that i got and color was Luminics H1's. But remember the best light output i got was the stock bulb!!!!!!!!!!

Hope that this is helpfull

Jeremy :D

justvtec

Reaction score
theskytraveler said:
PS: please lets not get into the debate on why I should switch from these projectors to an HID Kit or Retrofit. I am with you guys on that, but its not in my immediate budget. I just want to see if I can get a better bulb to give me a better output at this stage in the game :)

Amen, too that brother i had the same thing happen too me when i did a thread like this!!! i mean they dont know how broke :( we are but still want to be in the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

shavedaccord

Reaction score
ok..

1. The color temp of the bulb (kevlin) refers to the color output of the bulbs. Example: 3000k is yellow, 4300K is white/yellow 5000k pure white/small hint of blue 6000k white/noticeable blue, 8000K very noticeable blue. Many people mistaken this for the light output of the bulb. Typically the higher the kevlin the less lumen's. Halogen bulbs that claim to be "H.I.D" are just referring to the color output of the bulb not how bright it will actually be since halogen bulbs use filaments and not xenon gas this is why you see allot of "high performance bulbs" with a tint on the glass.

2. Higher wattage bulbs will put out more light but you also run the risk of melting your headlamp housings and wiring. If you ever felt a headlamp after having it on for awhile it gets warm on the outside. Imagine how hot that bulb is on the inside. It will definitely leave a burn. And thats just talking about OEM 55w imagine sticking a 100watt bulb in there. You can however upgrade your wiring harness with a "heavy duty" one but you still run the risk of melting your housings. If you have angel eyes in these "projectors" I would stick with OEM watt bulbs. They WILL melt.

anyway hope this helps you out in your decision.

Last edited:

theskytraveler

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the responses. I was leaning towards the Luminics bulbs anyway. Eventually I will most likely get a retrofit (later on). Until then I just need these projectors to do what they need to do for now. (No they do not have angel eyes on them) I will post a pic of the lights next to my profile name or just post a pic

Thank you!!

Back