Fuel Filter(s) replacement...?

heathan

Reaction score
I was just wondering before I tackled the problem how difficult it is to change the fuel filter. I know theres the sock filter and then another inline filter that's in the pump assembly. I'm guessin that the in-line filter is probably the problem so that's what I'm gonna replace. Anyone with any pics or a little DIY guide, I'd appreciate some info. Thanks.

skabone

Reaction score
why do you need to replace your fuel filter? it should last for the life of the car pretty much. I'm still on the orignal fuel filter and I've got about 160K on my car and I get great gas milage.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You take off the filter cover in the trunk. Disconnect everything, just make sure to not drop anything in the tank itself. Let the gas drain from the bottom filter before taking it out entirely. I recommend taking it to a table where its easier to work and you can lay everything out. Basically it just pulls apart. Been years since I did it.

heathan

Reaction score
Well it's strutterin a little when I come to a stop sometimes and with my last car it was the fuel filter that was the problem. I had even stalled upon acceleration a couple times. Hasn't happened with the honda though. I also just wanted to change it just to get it off the list of tune up to dos. I've had the car for about 3 years and it's got 120k on it. I'm plannin on changin the transmission filter too if anyone knows about that.(again, first time on the accord).

Another thing I guess it might be is the timing, but only because it's due as far as routine scheduled maintenance is concerned. Other than that I suppose I could get a guage and test the idle speed as well. There's just alot of things I'd like to get done to get it runnin like it should again.

One more thing though since I have some people's attention...I have a vibrating noise in the front. I was wondering about a balljoint or cv joint. I'm gonna check that the tires are balanced right also. The brakes are all new, rotors included, so I doubt its from that. It's not so much a grinding or rubbing, but you can hear it and feel it if your lookin for it.

Anyways...the fuel filter sounds cake. Thanks for the input, and any further help would be appreciated.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is no external filter on the tranny, just drain and refill. By timing I'm assuming timing belt, w/ your mileage I'd just go ahead and have it done.

Ball joint will "rattle" one of mine is gone, the other is about to. CV joint will "click", also look for grease on the shafts or surrounding area if one of the CV boots is torn.

heathan

Reaction score
Ok, thanks man. That'll save me the money on the filter anyway. The noise in my front end went away(not totally though). I went in today and asked the mechanics that balanced them a couple weeks ago to check them and make sure they were right...they were way out. Balanced the tires and got rid of the noise, at least to the point where its only noticable if I have the radio off and am holding my breath anyway. But I can live with that. Its not a rattle or grind either so thats another good thing. Just a dull vibrating noise. I cant spell what I think it sounds like. Kinda like..whouw I guess. heh. Anyways, thanks for the input. It's be a great help in the matter.

Back