Accord Question

nhsrunner

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Honda Accord with a 5 speed manual transmission. I've noticed that occasionally as I am driving down the road, the car will sort of lurch, as though it suddenly didn't have amy emgine power. Typically, the lurch will only last 1 second and the car will be fine after that. I have noticed this ever since I got the car, a year ago, and it occurs maybe 2-3 times a month. The second problem I have is that now as I'm driving a few seconds after I shift into either 2nd or 3rd gear, the transmission will make a slight grinding noise. This has just started about a month ago. Does anyone have a clue what might be causing any of this, or is this normal? Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
Well, I have a manual and that sudden loss of power can relate to either an electrical problem (plugs, wires) or a fuel problem.

The grinding noise you hear, is it definitely from the motor or can you tell if it's the clutch

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
i would guess fuel problem.

then again, Greg just spent god knows how long going through the whole ignition & fuel system on his car so maybe he can help you troubleshoot lol

nhsrunner

Reaction score
I think the grinding noise is coming from the transmition, though I could be wrong.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yours does the lurch thing too huh?

After I "thought" I got rid of mine, it still does it, but not as bad as before and usually on the highway. Replacing my MAP sensor cleared up most of it. I'm starting to think the Bosch fuel pump they put in is a POS.

No clue on the tranny.

Telri

Reaction score
I had a similar problem regarding the tranny in my 240. There was a kinda grinding noise when I put in the clutch some times, but usually it occurred when it was in 1st or 2nd gear. My mechanic put some additive in the trans fluid, and the sound went away and everything was fine. No idea what the additive was though. He did say that if the additive didn't work though, that it was time to scrap the transmission. Not sure thats your problem or not, may be a place to start though.

Back