Higher Octane Gas

nhsrunner

Reaction score
I've been reading some articles on the new SAE standards for measuring power ratings on cars, like now cars engines have to be run on the dyno with the same octane gas as is reccomended for consumers. Apparently companies like toyaota were using higher octane gas to give their engines higher power. So my question is how much of a power increase would our 6th generation 4 cylinder accords get for using like 89 or even 93 octane instead of 87?

Crono139

Reaction score
None.

Don't even bother with spending the extra money.

HandoEX

Reaction score
Yup, higher octane fuel will not benefit a naturally aspirated 4-cylinder at all. You'd be better off using lower octane fuel.

Spyder

Reaction score
I wouldn't run premium on this car unless you went turbo. I had to run 91 in my N/A 300ZX only because that's how they tuned the ECU and it ran like sh*t on 87.

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
Our cars actually run worse on higher octane gas. Do you know what a higher octane count means?? It means the fuel is LESS likely to combust under pressure. Basically, more resistive to combustion once pumped into our grocery getting cylinders.

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
Actually, no it doesn't. The ECU's in the AV6 are more sophisticated and able to compensate for the higher octane count. The amount of HP, although, in little at best.

williamsvt

Reaction score
Spyder said:
I wouldn't run premium on this car unless you went turbo. I had to run 91 in my N/A 300ZX only because that's how they tuned the ECU and it ran like sh*t on 87.

don't all turbo'ed vehicles have to run on premium octane gas?

and yeah, don't run anything more then 87 on the 4cylinders, cause it won't make a difference in the least.

Back