I4 to V6 Swap...Why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theaccordian

Reaction score
This has always puzzled me. Whenever we discus I4 swaps all thats ever mentioned is H22 with its 200 hp and all the custom work needed.

While swapping to the j30 is never even brought up. I admit I dont have much knowledge when it comes to swaps. But the J30 was made for our

car, so fitment would be a non factor, its 200 hp and has tons more torque than H22, and ive seen used j30s for less than $1000, yeah the tranny sucks, but ill

take the j30 over my f23 anyday. Am I missing something?

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
du3ce said:
pointless, plus the v6 trannies are crap

^yea that, and plus, it would also be a little harder since the 4 bangers are set up differently fron end wise as the v6's......like where the intake is, its on the other side of the engine compartment, so youd have to drill huge holes in that area if you wanted to put a CAI on your J30. not to mention other things youd prolly have to do, im sure theres a crap-ton more work then just that, like mounts and **** being completely different and all......and on top of everything, the damn tranny, it sucks, its be pointless, youd be better off swapping in a j32 out of a cls or something with the 6speed, but im sure thatd be even MORE work then just the j30. all in all, i would say, if you have a 4 banger, if you go to swap anything, swap in another 4 banger. cuz if you swap in a j30, youd have that tranny to deal with, and youd either spend out your *** fixing it everytime it broke, it spend one huge payment on the dr evil, thats like 4grand at least, and if youre lucky.

theaccordian

Reaction score
well... wont the trannie only crap out if you mod the engine to the point where the tranny cant handle it. I mean ill be happy with the 50 extra hp plus sum bolt ons.

Muyo

Reaction score
Some people didnt even do any mods at all and still the tranny broke.

I'm never, ever buying another Honda automatic after so many people had problems with Honda's automatics here in USA, and not only with 6th gen Accords either. Try Oddyseys, CL's, 7th gen Accords, RL, all of them.

Only one that seems to be still ok in Honda auto lineup is the Civic.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
yea, i havent heard of anything with the civic.....its prolly just too underpowered to hurt it, haha. i looked at the new ones today, and the auto lx sedan i saw said the tranny was from the philipines (sp?) and that the engine was from the USA.

djpm05

Reaction score
it's not just having to drill different places, it's the entire subframe of the car. the v6's are great, it's the auto transmissions that have problems. get a stick, and you'll be fine. :) or just get an E36 M3. or pretty much any BMW excluding the 318ti which sucks.

cdubb77

Reaction score
I would just buy a V6 Accord as opposed to swapping a V6 into a 4 cyl. :rolleyes:

Sonnick

Reaction score
i know a guy that did the CL-s complete swap...he said it is very fast...costed around $7k for everything including labor. must have been a bitch but that thing must be fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back