Buying some Boston comps - what do you all think

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
Well I'm picking up some new Boston fs60 comps off of a guy on an audio forum for a decent price. I'm hoping Boston's lower end comps have the same kind of quality that their higher end comps do. I had planned on eventually buying some Elemental Designs 6500 comps but these came along at less than 1/2 the price of the eD's so I figured I'd pick them up, and if I don't like them I can switch them out later.

Only thing that sucks, is I don't have an amp to run them. And I hate to say it haha, but I'm going to run them off the HU I guess for the time being until I can afford a nine.2 or something similiar. So instead of the 100wrms they should get, they'll get like 25wrms lol.

Anyways, anyone heard a lower end boston set in person and can tell me what I should expect

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
I have Boston Rally Series Comps, which wern't particuarly "high end" when they we're sold, but still decent. I love them, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I was going to switch form infinity kappas to boston sx 50's. Even though they are "equilvant" speakers, i find the bostons to sound much nicer. Far better mid bass, slightly less carity, but nothing i'd miss.

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
cool, I think the main 2 things that would disappoint me in a set of comps is 1) lack of midbass and 2) a harsh tweeter. As long as neither of those problems are there I'm sure I'll be happy with them

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Wildman said:
cool, I think the main 2 things that would disappoint me in a set of comps is 1) lack of midbass and 2) a harsh tweeter. As long as neither of those problems are there I'm sure I'll be happy with them
You descirbed infinity pretty well :D . I think you should be very happy, just feed them enough power, cross them over at the right point and you should be happy.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Totalimmortal said:
My Boston's are far from what I'd call harsh. Hard or soft dome???
I was talking about my infinity's. And they arn't that harsh is you go to the low setting on the crossover but still not great.

Back