Led hot spots-Led diffuser cap

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Ok, so as i'm waiting on some led's for my gauge cluster, i figured i'd do the "small bulbs". I was concerned mostly about the clock. The led is way to the side and the output is not were it should be. While looking for led's, i ran across this. It was 49 cents with a unsuable super not bright led.

1sz8.jpg

Now you can see how focused the regular led is off a 3 bolt battery. The only reason you get any light from the sides is from the fact it's on a flat surface.

2bn3.jpg

Now you can see with the little diffuser cap, the width is tremedously larger. I don't think this will work with the led kits unless you glued it to the lights and trimmed it down a bit but worked excellent to not only gain a much larger width but also works as a great bulb holder.

3vu3.jpg

I appoligize for the pics. If i had it off the workbench, it would be a better example. It was just too hard to hold and focus, etc. For 50 cents at frys, i highly recommend it. it.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I've done that before, this work MUCH better. I've shaped my leds as prisms, etc. This works wonders. And it's cheap. 49 cents, you can't beat it. Now if if doesn't fit, then shave, but as you can see from the terrible pics, it totally "unfocuses" the led. Shaving works for sure, this just works better, assuming it is totally to the side.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
hey, are all the bulbs that are behind the gauge cluster like the ones that twist in with those black bases and have those small lights bulbs that can be replaced with small wedge style LEDs? ive been thinking of doing the conversion, its just such a pain in the butt for me to get the cluster out due to my added cluster gauges, i didnt feel like taking it out and looking.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Sketch o5 said:
hey, are all the bulbs that are behind the gauge cluster like the ones that twist in with those black bases and have those small lights bulbs that can be replaced with small wedge style LEDs? ive been thinking of doing the conversion, its just such a pain in the butt for me to get the cluster out due to my added cluster gauges, i didnt feel like taking it out and looking.
This is one was for the clock.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
yea, i know, haha. but im curious about the gauges, cuz i recently put in a wedge style LED in my autometer voltmeter, and its backlit, and it looks so nice and chrisp white. now i wanna do the rest of my gauges in white, even tho i know it will be slightly blue cuz of the filter, i dont care, haha.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Sketch o5 said:
yea, i know, haha. but im curious about the gauges, cuz i recently put in a wedge style LED in my autometer voltmeter, and its backlit, and it looks so nice and chrisp white. now i wanna do the rest of my gauges in white, even tho i know it will be slightly blue cuz of the filter, i dont care, haha.
I have an order from superbrightled's coming, should be here soon, i'll post some pics when i'm done. This is for the gauges and havc.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
the gauges bulbs will take wedge type LEDS..better get some side firing LEDS or learn to shave them down otherwise hot spots and dead spots galore..the holes are also kind of small the ones that LEDautomotive sell BARELY fit in the hole..so just be careful with the LEDS you choose

Back