Wheel weight question

theskytraveler

Reaction score
I'm very close to getting some wheels and tires (about 3 weeks off),

I found some wheels but they are 23 llbs each the tires are 18 llbs each giving me a whopping 41 llbs per tire/wheel combo.

This sounds heavy to me but I'm not looking to race. Would this be a decent weight for rims and tires?

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
are they 17"?

it takes a lot more tq to move heavier wheels, especially when they are larger. the heavier they are, and the farther the weight is from the center (aka the larger the wheel) the more it will affect performance (breaking, suspension, acceleration).

i had some 17's that were probably around 23lbs or so, and I could definitely notice a slump in performance when I would put them on compared to my stock wheels. That was a big part of why I finally sold them.

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
theskytraveler said:
they are actually 18s

that makes weight more of an issue.

for example, a 25lb 18" wheel will be worse than a 25lb 15" wheel. the way torque works, the farther the weight is from the center, the more work it takes to move that weight. Same thing with wrenches, except w/ wrenches it works in your favor.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
A good wheel should be about the same lbs as it is in inches. Now, usually in the same wheel you get about a pound per wheel anyway. Well, a bit more as it starts going up in size. So you probably want something in the 20 lb range max. Its usually far easier to buy ligher weight 17's though. You can find either in expensive wheels though.

Browntown

Reaction score
what about the OEM steelies (or steelies in general)? I'm trying to sell my rims and I'm gonna go back to steel wheels and use the remaining $$ for fun stuff (headers, etc.)..... do they weight less than the OEM rims (SE rims, etc.)?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The steelies are just that - steel, stamped steel to be exact. The OE wheels are usually cast aluminum. Being that aluminum is a lighter metal than steel the alloys should be the lighter of the two. I don't know if anyone's ever weighed the two but I'd imagine they're not that far off from each other as far as weight goes.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I think 16 in steal wheels are about 18 lbs each. That's off the top of my head, i remember a comparison on another board. Steal wheels arn't really that heavy. They arn't light but they are much thinner than aluminum so they arn't that bad. I'm sure some honda alloys are ligher than others. With my talon, i had the heaviest oem wheel. It was 26lbs. Where as an eclipse wheel that was the same size and width was 17lbs. This is off my home scale, not exact. Anyway, i'd image they are about the same weight from a stock alloy to a steel wheel.

Browntown

Reaction score
Cool... now all I have to do is get rid of these damn chrome rims.... I've had offeres for trades but nothing I'm really diggin' much...

Back