Is it the IACV?

thomnjohn

Reaction score
My wife has a 98 Accord EX-V6. A few days ago the idle started bouncing from 1k to 2k. I cleaned the EGR valve, which was clogged with carbon buildup, hoping this would solve the problem. It didn't. I've searched the net and found that this is a common problem and is associated with the IACV alot of times. I'm going to try and clean it to see if that helps, but I first need to know where it is located on the EX-V6. Pics would help tremendously. Any help is much appreciated.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
You need to drill out the EGR port and stick in a new sleeve. Goto Honda and ask them to do it or if your confident enough ask for the EGR cleaning/port kit and do it yourself.

thomnjohn

Reaction score
So you guys think it's probably the EGR ports and not the IACV? I'll pull the code tonight and see what that says.

Thanks guys.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
code - light flash code - problem
---------------------------------
P0401 - 80 - EGR insufficient flow detected
P1491 - 12 - EGR valve lift insufficient
P1498 - 12 - EGR valve lift sensor high voltage
P0505 - 14 - IAC valve system fault

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
if all those fail, check out your coolant temp sensor. that causes a lot of problems which other methods dont fix. it could also be your throttle position sensor. egr, iacv, coolant temp sensor, and tps are the main faults of an erratic idle.

thomnjohn

Reaction score
I cleaned the egr port thouroughly and drove the car pretty hard for about 10 miles or so and now it's fine. I let it cool down for several hours and it cranked up and idled just fine. Thanks for the input guys.

Back