Throttle Body Cleaning?

Jeffro

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone on here had a problem with their throttle body needing cleaned out regularly or if its just me? I've always taken it in (about 4 times now), and I'm getting a little sick of it, so I was wondering how difficult it was to clean out? I'm getting ready to add an aem cai, so I figured it might be nice to go ahead and clean it out while everything was out, but I'm not particularly sure what I would need to do exactly? This might be really easy, but I'm still getting settled on working on my car myself... Thanks!

Oh, and it's a 2000, 4 cylinder 5-speed...

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
Carb cleaner, follow the bottles instructions. The job will be much easier with the TB off, just get a new gasket.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Totalimmortal said:
Carb cleaner, follow the bottles instructions. The job will be much easier with the TB off, just get a new gasket.

That and some engine degreaser and a wire brush.

Jeffro

Reaction score
TB not difficult to take off? I wouldn't think so, but sometimes I'm surprised...

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
Just get a new gasket, not a hard job. It makes the job easier to have a rubber mallet to knock it off after you remove the bolts.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jeffro said:
TB not difficult to take off? I wouldn't think so, but sometimes I'm surprised...

4 bolts, some hoses, and the throttle cable, oh and the intake arm.

Jeffro

Reaction score
Cool... I think I could handle that much! Thanks!

dynasty

Reaction score
the first time i did it was kinda scary. i sprayed it inside the throttle body. and when i tried to start the car. it didn't start! but it says to not worry and just try to ignite more and it'll be okay. it's good though. i could feel better throttle response.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I use carb cleaner and a toothbrush. Make sure to cover up any sensors, etc with some tape (never done it on my honda, don't know if this is necessary). And you can do it with the TB on, just make sure to let the carb cleaner evaporate.

Back