Home made turbo

blkaccord20

Reaction score
Wats up everybody? I just finished my auto to 5speed tranny swap in my 98 accord sedan and it is running great. I am now looking to boost. i dont have the funds being a full time student athlete. So i was looking to piece one together. Can anyone help me with that. What i will need and if you know where i could find the parts at. All responses are appreciated!

Last edited:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Turbo Manifold
Turbo
Misc Fittings
IC + Piping
BOV
EMS (tuning)
Injectors
Custom Downpipe
Larger Exhaust
Boost/Oil Press guages

Jeffro

Reaction score
For a home made, what would be estimated minimum cost? As well as reasonable/average cost to build one? I personally think it's out of my price range, but I like to have it in mind :D

Mojeans69

Reaction score
my friend did a homemade turbo for his jetta and it was cool he bought the manifold from ebay and got the turbo from a volvo out of the junk yard it ran great for about 3 months until the turbo seals gave and oil started leaking in....that was fun driving down the street and having a big puff of white smoke following...it cost him about $1000 total but that was the cheap way and he ended up paying another $2500 to have it done.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
You can really only source some of the parts from other cars. You will need to invest in a good manifold. Cheap ones crack, even break.

I bet you can get away with a 14b turbo off a 1g dsm. Many people will probably disagree but it's gone into the 12's and you won't be boosting much. Then you could use the o2 housing and wastegate off of that. That would be about $150 and that will be the "critical" parts of your system, meaning the ones you need. Now a bov isn't necessary but is recommend, you could again go with a 1g dsm valve for about $50. Even a dsm sidemount intercooler for about $50. Injectors, again dsm ones will work 450cc-$50

So for $300-turbo, wastegate, bov, injectors, intercooler. And again, all these parts have done 12's on a dsm. Well, i'm not sure about injectors, probably not.

Outside of this, everything will need to be custom. You will need to make your own IC pipes, oil feed and drain, etc. If you can weld, this can be cheap. If not, it could get costly, depending on local welders.

Then you will need tuning. Many options. But, this is by far the most important part.

OUtside of that, you need an fpr and fuel pump. Then a way to get everything to your exhaust.

I'm sure i left something out. I'd say you could do this for under $500, with tuning aside. Then whatever you use to tune, add that on top. I do not recommend you go with an FMU, that would be my main advice for tuning.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Mojeans69 said:
my friend did a homemade turbo for his jetta and it was cool he bought the manifold from ebay and got the turbo from a volvo out of the junk yard it ran great for about 3 months until the turbo seals gave and oil started leaking in....that was fun driving down the street and having a big puff of white smoke following...it cost him about $1000 total but that was the cheap way and he ended up paying another $2500 to have it done.
Remember, turbos can get rebuilt. And i'd recommend that you rebuild if you can budget it from the start. It's not necessary though. But just cause you blow a turbo doesn't need you need to buy a new one. You can usually rebuild for around $150, just make sure the shop is reputible. Then it should last atleast 100,000 miles with good tuning, cooling, etc.

retroshark

Reaction score
i dont trust rebuilt turbos personally... i have one and it blew up very quickly. id say out of everything you really need to get new, the turbo and the manifold are what you should spend the most money on. here is what i recommend:

t3 super 60 turbo
cast or log style manifold
450cc injectors
ebay intercooler piping kit
decent intercooler (name brand, not from ebay)
blowoff valve (rather get a greddy type S for a little more than a dsm)
oil feed and return lines
custom downpipe from turbo
tial wastegate or internally gated turbo
boost gauge
oil pressure gauge
oil temp gauge
vacuum line
fitting for oil pan
obd2 - obd1 conversion harness
obd1 p28 ecu (chipped/socketed)
obd1 honda injector box
dsm injector clips
extra wire
f22 intake manifold, or convert the f23 to an obd1 2 wire IACV (pretty difficult to get to work)
new turbo gaskets
wastegate gaskets
heat wrap
1 step colder spark plugs

thats all i can think of right now

Back