Whats the best manual trans fluid?

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
So I have read about GM synchro mesh, I wanted to know if any of you are using it in your 5 speed or 6 speed transmission? Is it good? Do you feel a difference??

My first gear is a bit notchy, and 3 gear seems to be a little too. I was wondering what you guys use to get the smoothest shift. Thanks

*Okay, maybe I was not that clear. 2006 and up Civic SI's and RSX's are having problems with 3rd gear synchros. They were all using Honda MTF, but one of the fix's they used(besides fixing the actual snychro) was GM synchromesh. It reportedly fixed all problems, I was wondering if anyone on here has used it themselves.*

Last edited:

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Honda MTF, hands down.
Had some noises and such, and a leak on the transimission, took it out, apart, resealed it and re-installed it. The old fluid wasn't Honda brand.

I drained it and put in brand new Honda MTF in it, No grinds, clicking, nothing, seemed smoother than when i bought the dang thing.

Never tried GM syncro Mesh, but i would swear by Honda brand MTF.

pyaarawala

Reaction score
I don't have a manual but I would also assume Honda brand would be the best for any transmission fluid.

finch13

Reaction score
Word on the factory stuff...

I would only use GM Synchromesh or Royal Purple MTF if it was really being problematic. Right now my 2nd and 5th gear grind every once in a while and I plan on rebuilding it this summer.

The real info we would need to know is what friction material is on the synchros? Brass? Paper cone? Using different tranny fluids could easily make things worse as well.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Word on the factory stuff...

I would only use GM Synchromesh or Royal Purple MTF if it was really being problematic. Right now my 2nd and 5th gear grind every once in a while and I plan on rebuilding it this summer.

The real info we would need to know is what friction material is on the synchros? Brass? Paper cone? Using different tranny fluids could easily make things worse as well.

Does it grind even with the clutch completely pressed down?

finch13

Reaction score
I haven't paid attention enough... I just notice that it grinds when I shift sometimes, just a slight, slight grind. Feels like worn synchros and possible bent 5th gear shift fork. i want to upgrade to the aluminum slave cylinder too.. sick of the nails-on-chalkboard eeling of the nylon one.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
I haven't paid attention enough... I just notice that it grinds when I shift sometimes, just a slight, slight grind. Feels like worn synchros and possible bent 5th gear shift fork. i want to upgrade to the aluminum slave cylinder too.. sick of the nails-on-chalkboard eeling of the nylon one.

What is the advantage of an aluminum slave cylinder?

I dont grind in any gears, but I did grind 3rd gear twice since I swapped my tranny. The first time I thought it was driver error, the second time I noticed that it was slightly slower to engage. I was getting on it, I think I was shifting around 6k. I think it might be because I was too light on the shifter. Any thoughts?

Back