Jeffro's 6th Gen Feedback

Jeffro

Reaction score
I noticed this section isn't really used too much, so I thought I'd give some of my own opinions and let ya'll mull them over for yourselves (This is the kind of thing I do when I work a 12 hour shift, from 4 p.m. to 4 a.m. and spend much of the time surfing this site...)

First of all, I think this board is the greatest site I have found online in a long time. The brotherhood, feedback, comments, and respect on this board far exceeds any other board I've been a part of... Which is kudos to everyone on this site, especially those of you who are moderators and help keep everything straight up...

My only other thought/comment is a design comment... I like how the board puts items in bold I haven't read... Unless you click on it from the "Main" menu, then it stays bold if you go into a sub-menu... One minor annoyance...

Anyhow, That's just me making some conversation about the site itself... Hope everyone enjoys and comments themselves!

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
vbulletin is sort of a pre-packaged, off the shelf forum software. basically I bought the software because people that know how to write php script did it, and made a reliable forum engine, and are now making money off of it.

as for me, I don't really know anything about coding... and honestly its not something I really am interested in. I'm sure that the whole bolding thing is deep within the php script somewhere but I'm just not capable of editing that, and call me paranoid but I don't really want someone else trying either at the risk of messing up what has worked pretty well so far.

appreciate the feedback, but unfortunately I don't see this as something that will really be changed :(

Jeffro

Reaction score
That's alright, you're still the man!

P.S. Where I work, my boss writes everything in asp, which is a little different that php but similar on a lot of fronts, and nothing EVER works right, so I don't hold it against you. :)

I can do minor scripting myself, but I limit myself mostly to HTML and JAVA, so just you getting this is more than I've done myself, so I really have no where to talk, either! :cool:

Telri

Reaction score
Personally, I like phpBB, but this is a pretty good system too. ASP is nice if you know what you are doing, because you can have it do alot more since its integrated into .NET.

But that thing about going into a sub board from the main menu, and it staying bold has bothered me too. Thats why I just view new posts now instead of clicking through.

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
The site has a great layout...the only thing that bothers me is that it doesn't mark threads you have already posted in...unless i am missing something

angelplus

Reaction score
00Accord4cyl said:
The site has a great layout...the only thing that bothers me is that it doesn't mark threads you have already posted in...unless i am missing something

Hmm, it does that for me...

Everytime that I post in a thread, I'll go to the main page, and will highlight that topic that I've posted in, just as an "unread" page. It does get annoying becuase sometimes I post in every part of the forum, and forget to look at where I posted and where I haven't lol But its all good and gravy baby :D

theaccordian

Reaction score
I was wondering how we can make this forum easier to find with search engines. I typed in "1998-2002 Honda Accord Forum" on google and found nothing. I even typed in "6th generation Accord Forum" and couldnt find this site. If you cant find this site with those words there's something wrong.

Also because of all the new members lately, I think we should have a "Member's Rides" section instead of one thread. New (or old) Member's can create their own thread that higlights pictures of their car and a list of modifications.Instead of pming people about their mods, by people over and over agin. (ive been pmed like 10 times about my lip kit or retrofit, If I had my own thread we could discuss it publicly and get it covered.) Threfore other members can post if they like the car or want to know about there mods. Also it feels good for that member who gets good feedback.

here's a link of how a good members ride section is executed.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=42

I think ours can be just as good

shavedaccord

Reaction score
How and where the website displays on a search engine depends on the META tags. vBulletin has a built in META tag option in the AdminCP under "vBulletin options > General Settings". Also there are many things that can change a pages "rank" within search engines such as out going links. For example say on this site we have a link to a website that recieves thousands or even a few million hits per day our "page rank" would actually go up therefore displaying us higher in the search engine. There are many tricks like this commonly referred to as "SEO" Search Engine Optimization. Another issue with search engines are odd ball characters in URL's such as ? and = signs. Example look at the URL we are currently on; http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2808
this URL has two instances of odd ball characters the ? and = which can at times cause problems with search engines trying to index the pages. There is a solution to that problem that would "mod" the URL to be something such as;
http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread/thread/2808
which would be 100% compatible with any and all search engines. This modification is called "mod_rewrite" the problem is it can be a royal pain in the *** to get to work correctly unless you absolutly know what you are doing. Another trick to search engines is using what is called a "Robots.txt" which is a file containing which pages, section and folders on your webspace you want and don't want to be indexed in a search engine. For example you don't want your AdminCP or ModCP to be indexed or any other page for securtity purposes. Thankfuly last time I checked vBulletin has this feature built in. So anyway if you google "SEO" you will find a million and one ways to optimize your search engine ranks.

6thgenaccord.com's Google page rank = 2
CNN.com (just as an example) Google page rank = 9
v6p.net Google page rank = 2

Just for our info though this was taken straight from Google:

PageRank Explained

PageRank relies on the uniquely democratic nature of the web by using its vast link structure as an indicator of an individual page's value. In essence, Google interprets a link from page A to page B as a vote, by page A, for page B. But, Google looks at more than the sheer volume of votes, or links a page receives; it also analyzes the page that casts the vote. Votes cast by pages that are themselves "important" weigh more heavily and help to make other pages "important."

Important, high-quality sites receive a higher PageRank, which Google remembers each time it conducts a search. Of course, important pages mean nothing to you if they don't match your query. So, Google combines PageRank with sophisticated text-matching techniques to find pages that are both important and relevant to your search. Google goes far beyond the number of times a term appears on a page and examines all aspects of the page's content (and the content of the pages linking to it) to determine if it's a good match for your query.

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=34432

Last edited:
Back