Sick 98 F23a1 Help!!!

redcedarme

Reaction score
Ok, New here...

I purchased a '98 Accord LX 2.3 VTEC F23A1 5 speed about 6 months ago in Asheville, NC (I'm from Central NY) with 227k on it(now 235k). I was hesitant at first, but after looking for a week on vacation there at overpriced junk in the iwanna paper and at the little dealers, I found this gem in a gated community south of town complete with a stack of Honda receipts (Appletree Honda of Asheville) for every service since new. It drove like a dream and I bought it (for $3,750). The 500 or so miles home it averaged 40-ish MPG. I was thrilled.

I've been a mechanic for 12 years, recently giving it up for management in a NAPA store. I live 3 miles from where I work. I will say first off, that on longer trips (100 miles) it gets 32-34 MPG. I get 25 or so on my short commutes. I'm OK with that. I buy the same 87 octane at the same high volume Sunoco station everytime.

Problem: When I leave home in the morning and get out on the highway... 1,2,3,4,5th gear, temp gauge just coming up, back off the gas and she coughs. Hard. Running through town in 2nd or 3rd with the A/C on produces the same effect but not as violently.

I've changed plugs (Bosch P+4), Wires, Cap, Rotor, fuel filter and coolant temp sensor. I fed it a can of Seafoam fuel system cleaner straight in the intake. I emptied a can of 2+2 gum cutter on the butterfly with it running/revving. Nothing has changed.

In the stack of records I found that the dealer had installed new fuel injectors and manifold back exhuast due to "customer complains of stuttering and lack of power." That was about 60k ago. I've been under the hood enough and had it in the air to see for myself that these parts do appear new(er).

Could this be a fuel pressure issue even though it runs and performs normally once it is warmed up?(no record of F/P changed) But even warmed up the low RPM/load with A/C on stutter still occurs. Are the valves adjustable like my CB750's are with discs under the cam? I'm going to check compression next. This has only been a problem in the last 2 months. The first 4 months there was no sign of any trouble.

Unrealated issue... Build date= 5/98. Purchase date 4/11/98(in owners manual) ... (weird) I cannot find the cabin air filter, which it is supposed to have. I've changed one on an '02 civic, right behind the glove box. Mine is non-existant. What gives with this car?

Thanks for reading my rant.

Any thoughts will be apprieciated.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
the cabin air filter is there, behind the glove box. but since our glove box goes down so far, you have to completely take it out. which is why ive been neglecting to do mine, hahahah. idk about your problem tho. hope you can get it solved. 235k miles, wow, thats a lot, most ive heard of on a 6th gen so far, haha.

Jeffro

Reaction score
My accord does a sort of "cough" when I first start it up, after about 30-60 seconds. It doesn't cough as much as feel like it is going to stall VERY briefly... even when I'm on the gas. It's worse when cold weather sets in, and it only does it this one time when I first get in and start driving. Is this the sort of action you are referring to? (Not that I know what it is, I'm just trying to get some clarification...)

Also, I don't have the 200+ miles yours has, but I do have 164,000 on my 2000...

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
Ok, trash the bosch plugs and get some NGK's. They're about $2 a plug. Use OEM wires, not cheap aftermarket stuff.

Stop getting gas at the same place! Different gas companies use different detergents, cleaning your motor in different ways.

Let the car warm up and pull oil into the head before you just hop in and go. Try looking into a remote start system, that is if you're responsible enough to leave it in neutral EVERY time you get out of the car.

Last edited:

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
I wasn't really addressing your problems, but those of the original poster. Anyways, both of you need to alternate gas stations.

Back