Change needle color, anyone successful?

talontsiawd

Reaction score
So after my led conversion, my needles are a bit dim. My speedo is 7 mph off (i need to borrow a logger to fix this) so i figured i'd try to deal with this first. Outside of being a bit dim, i don't like the orange. I'd like it a bit more red. And to be honest, i'm not against other colors. So far i've tried this:

Just red sharpie, doesn't disperse well
Red sharpie on both top and bottom, white paint under, too dim
Red sharpie on bottom, white paint, not red enough, pinkish
White, works decently, good dispersion, not the color i want.

Now, what i'm thinking, red on top and bottom, foil on the back. The problem with this is if i use tape, it will be hard to cut exact as the needle is not flat. If i glue some on, i could mess the needle up. Second red tailight tape. I have some, same as above, not sure why i didn't try, just thought of it :D . Third, get some super bright paint from a hobbie shop. They sell floresent colors, might work.

Anyway, if anyone has been successful, i'd love to hear about it. I think i need to add some led's around the speedo anyway. Red is the color of choice but i don't mind orange, if it's bright enough. Haven't given other colors much thought.

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
Last I heard, if you want red needles just use rubbing alcohol to rub all the color off of the needles and let the LED's do the work of changing the color.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Totalimmortal said:
Last I heard, if you want red needles just use rubbing alcohol to rub all the color off of the needles and let the LED's do the work of changing the color.
Yeah, i just don't partucularly want white needles.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
there is a company that makes aftermarket needles that light up I think they use that EL wire

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Totalimmortal said:
^^I know the company you're talking about, I can't place the name though.
That would be cool, i'll have to look into that. Probably the best result.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I found the needles you guys were talking about but only for a civic. Anyway, i found that it was just my speedo with a problem. That was the one needle that i was having trouble to begin with, sort of got caught up and tried everything.

So i moved to my gas guage, no problems there. I tried red, it looked great but i did it sloppy, no pics. And white
needleze4.jpg

Color wise, i'm debating between blue and red. I don't know how well blue is going to look, the white should light it up, i think. I'll probably just do red though, i think it will look better in the day. And there is a small chance i might try yellow.

Back