Hid Help!!!!!!

scrappys64

Reaction score
Okay, calling on all the HID retro crew. I am looking into buying an HID Kit.. What should I look for and what should I stay away from??? I did a search with not much luck.. Can anyone give some specs like seperate ignitor water proof, just some examples of what I should look for. I did see on ebay some Xenon and Techone kits and others. Let me know what you guys can school me on... Plus those new plug and play ones seem really easy to install...

scrappys64

Reaction score
Okay I am search the whole forum so don't BASH me saying SEARCH LOL!! Help a brotha out.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Ok the low down on HID kits..

Stay away from China & Taiwan made kits. Many of them use the lowest quality of parts and low grade bulbs in order to make a bigger profit margin. Even some bigger name HID kits have been known to do the such as McColloch they routinely switch between high and low quality parts to make a bigger margin they are also made in China by a company called Maxtel & owned by a Taiwan company called JennFeng. Techone, Prolumen & other cheap no-namer kits are the same way. Alot of these cheap HID companies do what is known as "brand-washing" which means they close and reopen brands under different names in order to avoid warranties and get a fresh start. Also you need to keep in mind companies that offer "Phillips HID kits" are not authorized dealers of Phillips products. Phillips does not offer HID other than d2s or d2r bulbs. Any Phillips HID kit on the market today is rebased d2s/d2r or relabled. So becareful with them kits as the warranty is 100% handled through the seller and Phillips will not honor these kits in any way. Also becareful of purchaseing kits on eBay a lot of companies do not condone or honor warranties of kits sold on eBay due to the fact they do not know if it is refurbished/used or an authentic kit plus most companies warranties are none transferable. A lot of the cheap kits that claim to be "100% plug and play" actually are not they still require you to splice into your OEM wiring so that is something else you will need to ask about before purchaseing. Think of it like this if they offer a wireharness on their site for HID's then that is a sure sign you will need one regaurdless of what they say. All boils down to what your after really..cheap prices? quality? just looks? great looks along with performance? What's your budget?

6THGEN_AI4

Ok, I got 8000k H1 bulbs, they're preety good, I got it off from ebay, the guy name is Robbie you can contact him and tell him the color tempeture and the bulb size (he is in china), is really easy the installations is just plug and play You just need to acomodate the ballast the rest is as I said PLUG -N- PLAY.
HID KIT clicky

2318327_152_full.jpg

scrappys64

Reaction score
Okay thanx... That info is good and that is one of the kits that I had looked at.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
before I forget a run down on color temps. (kevlins VS Lumens)

The lower the Kevlin (4300K for example) the higher the Lumens (light output). Most people tend to think the bigger the number in front of the K the better the light output when really the worse it becomes. If you're after an HID kit strictly for performance I would choose a kit between 4200K & 5000K. If you want an even balance between looks & performance I would consider kits between 6000K & 6500K. If you're after just the exotic look with somewhat hindered performance I would suggest getting a kit of 8000K or higher. Keep in mind as you get higher in Kevlin you start to get into blues and purples which draw a lot of unwanted attention from Police. Once you get into the blues & violets they start to scatter in the eye because they are the shortest wavelength/highest frequency colors of visible light which causes oncoming drivers excessive glare. 4200k - 6500K kits you're either at or just above 3 times the lumens of standard Halogen bulbs, 8000K-15,000K you are anywhere between 2 to 2 1/2 times the lumens of standard halogen bulbs. So output does decrease significantly as the Kevlins get higher.

scrappys64

Reaction score
Okay guys this is my old post.. I have an HID kit that I got for FREE brand new... Anyway I am trying to hook them up but right by the bulb there are two other wires that I don't know what they get connected to does anyone know what I am talking about... Sorry no pics it's a 6K H7 bulb type. Help me out if you guys know what I am talking about....

nhsrunner

Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly what wires you're talking about, but there are a lot of good diagrams on the web that show you what goes where. What it basically comes down to is all you're doing is adding the ballasts into the middle of the whole electrical circuit so what I'm trying to say is that the bulbs should connect directly to the ballast via the wires. Not sure if that made any sense, but hope it may have helped.

scrappys64

Reaction score
Okay that's just not even right... I am just asking a simple question besides just cause you don't like the HID KIT doesn't mean that someone else can't help... :peace: I am not asking to be part of any RETRO CREW just looking for some help from a forum I thought would help me out.. SEEMS like you got a little HATER IN YA their buddy.. If you can't help please don't post thanx!! :thumbsup:

Back