My deal with a 03 IS300

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
I've mentioned a few times on here about a car I've been trying to fix for about 6months now.

Here's what she looked like when I got her.

http://images.copart.com/website/data/pix/20091016/19164789_9X.JPG?
http://images.copart.com/website/data/pix/20091016/19164789_1X.JPG?
http://images.copart.com/website/data/pix/20091016/19164789_2X.JPG?
http://images.copart.com/website/data/pix/20091016/19164789_3X.JPG?
http://images.copart.com/website/data/pix/20091016/19164789_4X.JPG?
http://images.copart.com/website/data/pix/20091016/19164789_7X.JPG?

Parts already bought.

New Air bag...installed
New Radiator
AC condensor
PS Pump
Rad core
New fender
New headlights

The car ran when I bought it...ran a little rough. Before I could diagnose the problem....the timing belt slipped while I was using a timing light and bent all my intake valves. It slipped from debris lodged in between the crank teeth due to a missing timing belt cover.

I removed the head and thought I had a friend from a previous place I worked. He insisted on letting him rebuild the head instead of the machine shop. I trusted the guy since he was a mechanic and had a successful mobile mechanic business.

So I gave him the head, and $200 to buy new intake valves and 24 valve stem seals. He says he will be done in a few weeks.

A few weeks rolls around and he calls me up April 3rd and says something happened and he cant make it saturday to my house, he says hes busy and said he will call me right back. I never get a call......I call him profusely after 2 weeks...leave messsages...I just want to get this fuken car done and drive it.

Then his phone is disconnected....it has now been almost two months with no word from the guy. I knew after he stopped answering my calls that something was up...im no fool. But all this time, I gave him the benifit of the doubt...until now.

I am an idiot because I only have his full name...the car he drives and his previous employment address. I never went to his house...so I have no way to find him personally...except through the yellow pages...already tried that. Hes not listed.

The only thing I have left, is to call the police this friday and file a report. My wife is also a witness to me giving him the head so thats not an issue.

I had to order a new cylinder head from a lexus forum with 90k. I got it for a pretty good price at 280shipped.

Heres my new HG.

Head has been installed.

I destroyed the new front main seal by trying to tap it in with a flat head and a rubber mallet. I bought a new one and Im off to hope depot for some PCV pipe and smooth the edges to push the new main seal in.

I already have a fender in the works...should be here monday. Im hoping my new front main seal comes this thursday or friday...since Im working this saturday and sunday.

I have already installed a new water pump and timing belt tension pulley.

I figure I might as well start a non 6thgen members ride thread, since this will be the car I drive daily after its finished. Not a bad car...bought it for the wife as a replacement for the 96 avalon. But she says its too small. Now it's mines, too bad its an automatic...but 5 speed E-shift on the steering wheel should be nice.

I guess the stock Quarter mile time for this car and in autotragic is around 15.5. Not bad and faster than my accord lol. It comes stock with Tokico suspension, huge front rotors...floating rear calipers. Electronic brake distribution, stability and traction control. Also RWD hehe...NICE!!!

Updates will be weekly with this....thanks for looking guys!

***UPDATE*** May 28th, 2010***

I just got my new front main seal. And I bought some MP lube at autozone.

New main seal installed. Anyone doing this job need to take EXTREME CAUTION not to scratch the crank housing where the seal will be inserted. Any nick, scratch from pulling out the old seal will result in permanent oil leaks. I used an xacto knife to cut the seal, then used a rubber hook to pull the old seal out. I used a stack of paper cups to push the new seal in, then lightly tapped around it with a box wrench to make it flush and even. Make sure to lube the lip of the seal and the spring behind it with MP grease, also very important.

New water pump and Timing belt tension pulley.

***UPDATE*** May 29th, 2010

Head has been torqued down to the block. Cams are next week. My back hurts.....

***UPDATE***June, 2nd, 2010

cams are torqued down on their first of 3 stages of installation. Expected to finish the complete install this weekend with the timing belt. Probably will be running again by next week.

The reason why its taking so long is because both me and my wife work full time and we have a 2 year old and 6month old. So time is a real constraint right now. I only get an hour or two a week to work on it.

Picture327.jpg

I decided to just go at it and finish torquing down the cam caps installing the cam seals and installing the new timing belt. Engine rotated well and the timing marks are all lined up perfectly, I can feel the compression each time I turn the motor. I think shes a runner....next week Im scheduled to have the first start in almost 4 months.
I know its a bad pic, But im dead a$$ tired. I've been up for 28hrs. Good night fellas.
Picture331.jpg

***June 9th***

Pulled a 12hr all nighter at work, but today I managed to get the timing belt covers on, harmonic balance pulley and alternator. I also did a valve check...bad news. One of the valve shims on my intake side is way too tight for comfort. Im going to try and swap it out with one that had the most measured gap to see if that will work. If not, I may have to have this valve shim machined to the correct spec. Pix coming later, Im helping a friend with his car today.

****UPDATED****

http://s485.photobucket.com/albums/rr212/pharaohdeez/?action=view&current=Picture355-1.mp4&newest=1

Has a little P/S whine, gonna try and use some synthetic fluid to calm it down. But the head sounds great, no valve train noise at all and thats pretty good for a 2jzge.

****updated***** august 25th

Test fitted some parts, bra for the bumper and a few other things. Still need a new ac condensor, connect ground wire for a/c compressor. Fill A/C, wire in Horn, secure top radiator mount. Buy and install top headlight bracket, fix torn window washer line and fix a coolant leak at the coolant temp sensor. And of course....a HOOD!. Wish I could finish it sooner, I work 12hrs days, two kids, wife...plus its ramadhan and im fasting from sunrise to sunset so I cant stay outside much in the heat or Ill get sick from not drinking water or eating.

Picture356-1.jpg

Last edited:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
gj on fixing it urself. sucks u got scammed tho

Thanks lemmie...yeah it does suck. But whats even worse....is that I have the bearing caps for the original head. Which means, the head of mine he has is virtually useless. He took my $200 and ran....its okay though. I got a new one for cheap and my financial situation is looking better than it has in my whole life.

I dont have much to complain about :thumbsup:

LX_F23A1

Reaction score
sucks to hear man :(

theres nothing better than a diy rebuild of a car. good luck on finishing things up :thumbsup:

ZFreak

Reaction score
PM me the info you have on him. I'm a licensed private investigator and have access to a bunch of databases (I think one covers Oregon). I'll see what I can do to give you a better address or contact info.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
PM me the info you have on him. I'm a licensed private investigator and have access to a bunch of databases (I think one covers Oregon). I'll see what I can do to give you a better address or contact info.

O_O! :eh: ahhhhhhh we have a undercover....

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Def a great project bro! Sucks you got scammed, but I'm sure Karma will get that guy back. Great price on sourcing the head too. Subscribed.

Marino3.0Coupe

Reaction score
Sweet IS bro. I can't wait to see when it's done. I really hope you boost it. I'm a huge supra fan, and I love the IS, but it's no supra. I wouldn't buy one only because of the badge, which is stupid to most people, but I love the body.

Next step down on a more realistic scale is the IS though, and that is still a very sexy car.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Sweet IS bro. I can't wait to see when it's done. I really hope you boost it. I'm a huge supra fan, and I love the IS, but it's no supra. I wouldn't buy one only because of the badge, which is stupid to most people, but I love the body.

Next step down on a more realistic scale is the IS though, and that is still a very sexy car.

Thanks, I might boost it later on. For now Im just gonna roll stock with a nice exhaust.

In the future I may buy a brand new GTE block for about 2 grand on L-tuned website. Upgrade the valve body on the transmission. Im usually into manuals, but the 5 speed e-shift with turbo makes for a nice drive.

Yeah, I understand the whole lexus badge thing. I'd perfer it said toyota, but ohwell...its still a toyota at heart.

Last edited:
Back