Official 98-02 Accord PSPEC S.S installation

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
CIMG2319.jpg

To install the PSPEC Tuning ADJUSTABLE Short Shifter Kit in to a 98 – 02 Honda Accord, follow the directions below.Also images to provide further assistance.
*All info provided by PSPEC TUNING,covered by 97-01 prelude install.Im Personally converting it for us 98-02 accords.Some pictures are property of PSPEC,but most are mine.

This is the installation tutorial for the new height and throw adjustable PSPEC short throw shifter for the 98-02 Accords.

*For Stock knobs and boots;Begin by squeezing on the shift-knob and pulling down on the shift-boot collar.
*for Aftermarket knobs;Unscrew knob and set aside.
shiftboot.jpg

Unscrew the shift-knob.
knobgone.jpg

Remove the fuse console covers from both sides of the front of the console.
CIMG2380.jpg

Remove the screws behind both of the Fuse console covers.
Drivers:
CIMG2379.jpg

Passengers:
CIMG2381.jpg

Remove Knee covers on both of the front console
Then remove 2 screws on both sides of the center console attached to the front console.
CIMG2372.jpg

CIMG2373.jpg

Remove the two screws at the back of the center console on both sides. Just the bottom 2.Then remove back cover.
CIMG2374.jpg

Remove 2 screws on inside of arm rest.Lift cover to access.
CIMG2375.jpg

Open cup holder and firmly but carefully Pull up,and pop out cup holder.
Remove shift cover plate;Wood grain or black depending on vehicle.

remove 4 bolts being exposed after center plate removed.
CIMG2377.jpg

CIMG2371.jpg

Remove upper cubby hole panel.By popping it out with flat head or clip tool.
CIMG2378.jpg

Remove Lower cubby hole panel.By firmly pulling out.Be careful and unplug the 12v plug.
CIMG2376.jpg

Console removed and shifter exposed.
CIMG2321.jpg

Use a flathead screw driver to pry out the cable clip.
CIMG2323.jpg

Use a flathead screw driver to push back the plastic retaining tab.
CIMG2325.jpg

With the retaining tab pushed back, rotate the shifter cable counter-clock-wise to remove it.By sliding outward.
CIMG2324.jpg

Use pliers to remove the cotter pin from the linkage.
CIMG2326.jpg

Use a 10mm wrench to remove the linkage from the shifter.*If stock*
*If Aftermarket short shift adapter,Remove 12mm,allen screw along with 10mm bolt*
-12mm bolt;
CIMG2329.jpg

10mm bolt;
CIMG2330.jpg

allen screw:
CIMG2331.jpg

Use a 12mm wrench to remove the four shifter frame bolts.
CIMG2332.jpg

Free the shifter cables from the shifter frame. Bring the shifter frame to a clean work surface.
CIMG2333.jpg

CIMG2334.jpg

Use a flathead screw driver to pry up on the retaining tab and turn the pin counter-clock-wise a quarter turn.
CIMG2335.jpg

Now you can remove the pin.
CIMG2336.jpg

Use a flathead screw driver to break out the factory shifter retaining clip.
CIMG2337.jpg

Once the clip is broken out, pry it out with a flathead screw driver.
CIMG2338.jpg

Remove the factory shifter retaining clip.
CIMG2339.jpg

Rotate shifter shifter and pull it out of the shifter frame.
CIMG2340.jpg

Split the shifter ball in half and remove the green plastic shifter retainer from the shifter. You will reuse this part.
CIMG2341.jpg

Flip the shifter frame over and use a flathead screw driver to remove the factory shifter frame bushings.
CIMG2342.jpg

Wipe all old grease from the bare shifter frame. Now is a good time to clean the frame if you would like to.
CIMG2343.jpg

Use the supplied grease to lubricate the PSPEC pivot ball.
CIMG2344.jpg

Insert the lubricated PSPEC pivot ball into the frame
CIMG2345.jpg

Lubricate the end of the cable arm on the PSPEC shifter.
CIMG2346.jpg

Install the factory cable arm on the PSPEC cable arm. Lubricate and install the pin back into the shifter. Rotate the pin to lock it in place.
CIMG2347.jpg

Clean and lubricate the green plastic shifter retainer.
CIMG2348.jpg

Install the shifter retainer over the shifter and into the frame. The retainer is notched on one side to allow movement of the shifter arm. Install the notch over the shifter arm like in the photo.
CIMG2349.jpg

Retainer installed all the way down.
CIMG2350.jpg

Install one end of the PSPEC shifter retaining clip down in the shifter frame.
CIMG2351.jpg

Use a hammer and a flathead screw driver to hammer the other end of the PSPEC shifter retaining clip down into the shifter frame.
CIMG2352.jpg

Retaining clip installed.
CIMG2353.jpg

Install the PSPEC bracket and upper shifter rod to the lower half of the shifter. Use the supplied allen key to tighten the special set screws. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE SET SCREWS! You will need to adjust the PSPEC shifter to your liking after you install it in the car.
CIMG2354.jpg

Bring the shifter frame back into the car and pass the shifter cables back through it. Align the frame over the shifter frame mounting holes.
CIMG2355.jpg

Insert the PSPEC aluminum shifter bushings with the small end down.
CIMG2356.jpg

Start all the 12mm bolts by hand and make sure that all the bushings are sitting in the frame properly. Tighten all the 12mm bolts a little at a time to make sure the frame bushings are all seated properly. Then torque them all down. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN.
CIMG2357.jpg

Rotate the shifter cable clip and snap the locking tab back in place.
CIMG2359.jpg

Reinstall the metal cable clip and tap it back in place with a hammer.
CIMG2360.jpg

Lubricate and reinstall the shifter cable pin.
CIMG2361.jpg

Install the supplied cotter pin into the cable pin.
CIMG2362.jpg

Lubricate the PSPEC shoulder screw and slide it back and forth through the shifter cable to lubricate the shifter cable.
CIMG2363.jpg

Put the shifter cable end in between the PSPEC bracket arms and pass the lubricated shoulder screw through the bracket and the cable. Use the supplied nylock locknut on the PSPEC shoulder screw.
CIMG2364.jpg

Use the supplied allen key and 7/16" wrench to tighen the locknut.
CIMG2366.jpg

PSPEC shifter installed in car.
CIMG2367.jpg

Check the diagram for adjusting the PSPEC shifter height and throw.
adjust.jpg

After your happy,use supplied loctite on all 4 shift Allen bolts.Then reasemble dash components.
Finished;
CIMG2382.jpg

Enjoy.
----------------------------------------------
Now it is recommended that you install a shift-knob and take several test drives to find a setting you like. Once you find a setting you are happy with, you can start to work on the shift boot and center console. The knob in the picture is the Skunk2 weighted shift knob.
**For boot install and regards of cutting consol to clear higher settings.please check:
http://pspectuning.com/9701P_tutorial.php

Last edited:

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
Thanks.
Installation took maybe an hour or so.Very straight forward. The cotter pin gave me the most trouble,so i snipped it off to be honest .haha

ilovevtec951

Reaction score
good write up but i belive u dont have to remove knee panels.... i did mine like 2 years ago so iits kinda hard to remember GOOD stuff tho :thumbsup:

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
yes they do..I contacted Pete Stefanowicz the owner and distributor..and he will be adding this tutorial to the main PSPEC site..so it will be official.
:run:

9450erick

Reaction score
so i can go to there site and pick one up right now
how much did u pick urs up 4

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
200$ shipped...Tas auto also sells them,but is a rip off since they charge for shipping..haha

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
Things sure have changed from when I bought mine. I re-used, and didn't break, my OEM retaining clip. There was never a second one included, mine also isn't adjustable.

Back