Oxidation on roof

Crono139

Reaction score
Just washed my car today, and I noticed that there is a small part on the back of my roof that is starting to oxidize.

It has a white, cloudy look to it with a somewhat rough feeling.

I tried some claybar, and then a touch of wax, but, to no avail, it still looked the same.

Is there any way around this besides going to the paint booth?

Fish

Reaction score
I'd try some sort of paint cleaner. Something like Meguiar's swirl mark remover might do the job, but I wouldn't go with anything more agressive than their fine cut cleaner. If you know anyone with some Klasse All-In-One, that stuff takes off oxidation with incredible ease. I think Nu Finish will get the same results too, but that stuff is abrasive as heck.

Post pics of the oxidation if you can.

Crono139

Reaction score
IMG_1716A.jpg

IMG_1715A.jpg

Fish

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the effort to post pics. Looks harsh, might be more than just simple oxidation. Looks like it could be etching from something acidic, like bird crap? Best solution I can recommend is to do just the scratch-x parts in this how-to article here: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1516.

Worst case, it could be the clear coat beginning to fail, but that's really rare for our cars being newer and all that.

Browntown

Reaction score
hey...is that at the rear of the roof above the center of the rear window? I'm having the same problem...though mine is further along than yours....:mad: .... it's a f*ckin' conspiracy.....

Crono139

Reaction score
Browntown said:
hey...is that at the rear of the roof above the center of the rear window? I'm having the same problem...though mine is further along than yours....:mad: .... it's a f*ckin' conspiracy.....

Yes, it is.

I don't remember any bird crap, or anything sitting there a good while that could have caused it.

I wonder how much it would cost to repaint the roof. :p

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I don't think that is oxidation. I think that is your clear coat lifting. Happens alot on black cars, that's why i won't buy one again. From that pic, that would be my best guess. And if so, you need to repaint. Oxidation should polish out.

Crono139

Reaction score
There was no change in appearance with the claybar which shocked me because it usually removes everything on the paint.

I'll see if I can get better shots tomorrow if it isn't too sunny out.

Back